quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: ANNOUNCE: ubuntu-qt-template ubuntu-qtquick-template

Al 24/05/12 10:13, En/na Angelo Compagnucci ha escrit:
> Hi David,
>
> Many thanks for the wonderful report!

Glad that it's useful :)

>     General
>     -------
>     • The apps created do not have global menu integration. However, they do
>     after installing the 'appmenu-qt' package. I'm not sure what the best
>     way to sort this out is. Perhaps adding a dependency to 'appmentu-qt' to
>     the packages created by your templates?
>

> Yes, you are right, having it already installed i've not noticed the
> problem. Probably I have to add also sni-qt, digging on how to do that.
>

>     • The template names are named ubuntu-qt-application and
>     ubuntu-qtquick-application. Have you considered moving the qt and
>     qtquick part to the end of the name, e.g. ubuntu-application-qtquick? I
>     think that would make them easier to find and type with tab completion
>     when writing 'ubuntu-application'<Tab>
>

> Good suggestion!
>

>     • There are quite a few warnings when running any command. Here's an
>     example [1]. It would be nice to address them to make them either
>     disappear or hide them, as they will be confusing for new app
>     developers, and can give a suboptimal first impression.
>

> Warning on GTK3 is not a problem related to my templates but
> quickly itself. Didrocks said that is already someone addressing it.
> Other messages are related to dbus but I think they are not errors.

Ah, nice to hear the GTK3 warning is being taken care of. You're also
correct regarding the messages not being errors but warnings, but my
point was that they should not be there regardless, as they confuse new
app authors and lead to a suboptimal developer experience.

>     • The 'Credits' button in the about dialog needs to be either
>     implemented or removed
>

> Wow, passed totally unnoticed, i'll fix it asap.
>

>     Qt app template
>     ---------------
>     • It adds a PreferencesDialog.py that is GTK-based instead of Qt. It's
>     probably a leftover from the original 'ubuntu-application' template
>

> Not possibile, PreferencesDialog is based on QT and it works for me, can
> you give me more details?

Yes, sorry. I now found where it comes from. It's in the TODO folder
(TODO/PreferencesDialog.py) created for a new app, which I believe
should be removed.

>     Qt Quick app template
>     ---------------------
>     • Question: how do you edit the animation?
>

> Right, I've not added that to the design command, fixing asap.
>

>     • There's a get_media_file() function in helpers.py that you could use
>     in this line
>     self.centralWidget().declarativeView.setSource(QUrl.fromLocalFile(testqtquickappconfig.get_data_path()+"/media/demo.qml"))
>

> OK.
>

>     • There is a comment in PreferencesDialog.py that references gsettings
>     schemas. I guess the comment should be updated
>

> Again, give me more details, because for me, it's based on QT.

Yes, the file is correct, I was just referring to the comment in that file:

# This is your preferences dialog.
#
# Define your preferences in
# data/glib-2.0/schemas/net.launchpad.testqtquickapp.gschema.xml
# See http://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GSettings.html for more info.

It's mentioning Gsettings, so I guess the comment should be updated to
whichever settings framework Qt uses.

>     Suggestions
>     -----------
>     • I'd suggest creating a separate package for the template, so that it
>     can be installed separately and backported to Ubuntu 12.04. You can have
>     a look at the 'quickly-unity-lens-template' and
>     'quickly-ubuntu-template' packages for examples on how to package
>     separate templates
>

> I'm not strong in ubuntu packaging, I can make a dedicated branch and
> opening a new project, if anyone wants to help here, i'm really grateful.

I think creating the new project with the dedicated branch could be a
good start, as not only other people could help with the packaging, but
also to report bugs and contribute to code.

>     • I'd also suggest creating a daily PPA for testing
>

> Same here.

[...]

Again, good work!

Cheers,