quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: optimum folder for post_create.py etc

Le 09/08/2012 20:16, tony byrne a écrit :
Hi all
Hey Tony,
  There has been some talk here about a post_create.py command but the
folder is to determined. There was also a per project folder wanted.
I suggest using the XDG standard
~/.config/quickly/templates/ubuntu-application/post_create.py
I think we need to add "hooks" something in the folder path. What about:

~/.config/quickly/templates-hooks/ubuntu-application/post_create.py

(I'm still pondering if we shouldn't put as well the custom templates here: like

~/.config/quickly/templates/ubuntu-application/foo-template

but I'm unsure about the discoverability TBH)

~/.config/quickly/projects/myproject/whatever
Hum, on this one, I would rather see having a hooks or .hooks folder inside the project itself (it's per project after all!), what do you think? In addition to that, everyone bzr branching (even you on another computer), you will get the hook ready to fire bundled to your project!

On a semi-related topic, as currently written, tests on quickly core
can only be run by members of quickly team without errors. What is
needed is a way for contributors to run tests. Didier suggested some
mock objects but I think these have to be developed by the quickly
team themselves. Presumably they would need to have 2 logins, one as a
team member, one as a mere mortal. Currently tests use the /tmp folder
to hold several files but that might backfire with more that one user
on a PC. Probably the best way forward is to use XDG standard
~/.cache/quickly/<temp files go here>.
Completely agree, what I envision with the reboot is to have:
- more unit testing (so not only integration tests has we currently have), as the code will be redesigned to be more testable from the inside (dependency injections-like for instance)
- have some mock objects for launchpad, bzr, other external services
- using those mock objects as external services for the integration tests.

So normally and ideally, we shouldn't need any launchpad connexion for running the tests, big win for everyone :) I think we would need as well a way to rerun the integration tests against the real production server, like every day. But this would be integrated into jenkins and the ubuntu QA lab. We will keep an eye on it, especially before a new release, but won't necessarily be a blocker (as network-reliant).

  Another consideration as part of the conquer the world project (bug
#1 ?) would be quickly being used in school setting, e.g. programming
101. Separate temp folders per student would be essential.

Can you expand a little bit on this subject, not sure to follow you on the "separate temp folders per students"?

(I would love Quickly to of course fix bug #1, but don't speak out of loud of the super secret world domination plan! ;-))

Thanks for your suggestions Tony!
Didier