quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: Fwd: Proposal: Abstract hosting service from project templates.

Le 09/08/2012 19:10, tony byrne a écrit :
Hi Didier
  That sounds just what I need. Can I request you leave -t available ?
quickly -t <template> add <command>
allows a script to run from any template at any time on any project.
Hey Tony,
The -t <template> is bringing a lot of completion in the autocompletion engine that I want to simplify drastically with the reboot. In addition to that, it didn't seem to have a strong use case for it, and I don't really like the idea that you can run any command from any template against any other boiler plate. It means that you open holes for uncontrolled and untested combination which can potentially make more harm to your project than anything (sure, you can bzr revert, but still). I would really prefer that we remove it if we don't have any strong use case for it.

Alternatively allow the post_create.py to be called at any time
(effectively the same).

  I know this flexibility is not a quickly goal, however consider the
case where you are developing a post_create.py. The need for it will
probably occur during a project development. So it would be nice to
call it and debug it then. If it can only be called during create the
developer will be slowed by this long loop.

quickly create <template> <project> (relatively slow)
examine project for bugs
edit post_create.py
close nautilus <project> folder (tedious)
close editor (tedious)
delete project folder
quickly create <template> <project> (relatively slow)

A better approach would be
quickly create <template> <project> (relatively slow)
cd <project>

# begin loop
create post_create.py
call post_create.py
examine project for bugs
bzr revert
edit post_create.py

This could be achieved by using the same api for post_create.py that
quickly add uses,  allowing -t and developing post_create.py inside
any template.

Hum, as Alistair is telling on his answer, the idea is to have those pre_ and post_ hooks in any command.

What you are describing here is about creating the hook, right? For that, I think, in the post_create.py one, what you will do is: - create a first version of post_create_indev.py (just not post_create.py so that it's not automatically call, or not in the right path)
- quickly create <template> <project>
- run manually post_create_indev.py
- see the result, if not good -> bzr revert (go to the quickly create state)
- edit it
- rerun it… and so on :)

I don't think that -t will help there, isn't it? Also, this is just for developing your hook, so anyway, you will need this run/revert/run/revert to ensure it's doing the right thing :)

Cheers,
Didier