randgen team mailing list archive

Re: Suggestions for better integration with Drizzle

Patrick,

Bernt has been working on a solution where all logic around each database product (including starting, stopping, dumping and diffing) is encapsulated into a single object that provides start, crash, dump, diff, etc. as methods.

Bernt, what is the status of this work?

Do you have any thoughts on how to handle this?
While it is my responsibility to implement what I need, I also wanted to get
your thoughts on how to make this happen as smoothly and unobtrusively as
possible.

I suppose the main question is whether it would be better to have
drizzle-specific scripts that do what we need or if I should try to include some code that determines dump and server start&stop utilities based on the
type of DBMS being tested.  For example, I hope to have 2-way compares
against MySQL going and that would seem to require using mysqldump and
drizzledump depending on the system.

As far as I know, mysqldump is only required when producing the simplified test case -- the 2-way compare should be able to proceed without a dump utility. So I assume that you are experiencing issues with simplification, and not with running the actual test? Is that so?

Thanks,
Patrick