randgen team mailing list archive

Re: Issues with the replication grammars

Hi Philip,

Am 27.01.2011 12:49, schrieb Philip Stoev:
> I intend to remove the following grammars
>
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication-5.1.zz'
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication-6.0.zz'
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication.yy'
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication_innodb_myisam.zz'
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication_simple.yy'
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication_single_engine.zz'
> === removed file 'conf/replication/replication_single_engine_pk.zz'
>
> which were basically half-baked stuff derived from example.yy that
> either does not test anything in particular, or produce statements that
> are meaningless or unsafe for replication. If you are running any of
> those grammars or ZZ files, stop, because they are likely to provide a
> false sense of security.

I agree with your judgement about the current value/effectivity of most
of the grammars above.
But please do not remove any of them until we have sorted out
what to do with automatic runs which use some of them.
Example:  replication_simple.yy is used within some test for semisync
          replication.
As soon as we have found a more challenging/false alarm free replacement
for such grammars + know how good the replacement works with the server
we can remove the old grammar.

> I have fixed some of the bit rot in replication-dml* , and I will push
> shortly.

great, thank you

> I will not be touching any files that have a MySQL WorkLog number. In
> general, if you want to prevent a particular grammar from being edited
> by me, please use "oracle" in the file name and mention your
> requirements promptly at the top of the grammar file.

Sounds good

Thank you

Matthias