rapid-users team mailing list archive

Re: 4 topics; if default folder has too many pics, thumbnails wont show, partial selection and hangs...

2011-09-25 20:56, Damon Lynch skrev:
>> The real fix would be to figure out a way to not make it unresponsive
>> with many media files :)
>
> This is a non-trivial issue. If you open any program with an enormous
> number of files, and you don't have enough RAM, your system will
> become unresponsive.  There may well be memory optimisations that can
> be made to the code, but that would be something for the future.
> Meanwhile, work on a subset of your  files, and not all of them at one
> time. In my case, when I'm in the field for some time and I have more
> than 30GB of RAW photos on one memory card, it's no problem for me to
> download them - but my laptop has 8GB of RAM.
I think there is something else then memory problem at least for me.
I also have 8gb of ram in my computer. And rapid is not eating so much
of that, and my computer is still very responsive, its just rapid that
stops responding staying busy with something in the scanning process. It
will slowly increase its memory footprint, but its far from reaching the
limit of the ram. So its more like scanning the files gets slower the
more files you have scanned. Even with lots of memory left.
I will try to get a debug output. Maybe it helps to show what's happening.

best regards
andreas