rednotebook team mailing list archive

Re: Features΄ suggestion

Hi,
sorry the response took so long...

Am 16.05.2011 12:40, schrieb AnaMesa:
Hello,

I΄ve started using this program couple of days ago, and find it very
usefull and well thought out and done. So, I would like to complement a
member΄s suggestions some posts ago, or even make new ones:

---------------------------Quote--------------------------------

- I need a bit better way to manage the "excluded words" list.  I keep
adding words, and I would like to be able to edit them as an
alphabetized
list so I can add extended forms (plurals, etc.)

- Set up a synonyms list, where I would input a "canonical" word and its
synonyms.  These synonyms would be lumped together under the canonical
word in the word cloud, and the search function would return search
results for all of the synonyms when one of them is entered.  For bonus
points - this is probably tougher than the rest of it put together -
allow for a multiple-word synonym.

------------------------------End Quote------------------------------

I think the first suggestion could be implemented by using another prog,
capable of sorting, and copy-pasting the ¨excluded words¨ list to this
prog and re-copy-pasting back to the field of the list in preferences.
Of course, it would be better to let RedNotebook do that by itself, it΄s
just a workaround.
I think so too, Doing this in a separate program is the simplest way here.

The second suggestion is maybe the most interesting: I too find the need
to lump together words, not neccessarily synonyms, but let΄s say
¨groups¨, and the rule of the colection could be arbitrary. So these
¨group-words¨ should appear in the cloud, and maybe clicking on them
could on first click open the colection as a ¨sub-cloud¨, and then
either choosing the whole ¨sub-cloud¨ or specific items from it. That
would mean an introduction of a double cloud hierarchy, searchable of
course.
Well, this sounds like a nice idea, but I think not many people would understand the concept and be willing to define such hierarchies.

Another missing feature (or one I could  not trace myself) is to be able
to import a page or a whole journal to another journal. By this I mean
to add the contents of the first journal to the corresponding dates
(pages) of the second *and* the categories etc (annotations) of this
day(s)/page(s). This would immensely useful, by adding for instance the
contents of the first journal at the end of the corresponding page of
the second, after a double seperator line.
This will be possible in future versions, when the importing code has been finalized.

Another suggestion would be rather secondary but obligatory: Please when
changing views, from *Edit* view to *Preview* view, keep the place of
the Edit view in the page, when returning to it, ie when returning to
Edit view from Preview, I should find myself in the same position in the
text where I left, not in the beginning of the page. The cursor should
be visible at the same position.
That's a very nice observation. I added it to the roadmap.

Then, I woulf very much like to be able to copy and paste annotations of
any kind to another page (date).
IMO copy-pasting with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V should be sufficient here. What do you guys think?

Maybe I΄m asking too much, but these are my suggestions anyway.

Oh, and please add some more keyboard shortcuts, for example a shortcut
for ¨annotating¨,
Ctrl-N
  then maybe a letter shortcut for ¨Adding¨ an item,
what "item"?
¨Deleting¨ it
delete an annotation with the Remove key
  or ¨Changing the text¨,
Good idea.

Cheers,
Jendrik