Re: Zambia package

2010/8/11 Alan Elkner <aelkner@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Gediminas,
>
> When you said the zambia package was already built today, I thought
> you meant that the new package was built after you merged.  I don't
> know, maybe that is in fact what you meant, but then I got to
> wondering.

I have merged a branch, released an egg, and updated a deb package
from it. Uploaded it to schooltool-owners/dev PPA and it was built. So
yes, the newest zambia code is already in the PPA.

> I'm still not sure what the steps are involved in going
> from a branch of mine to a simple apt command that Jen can run on her
> machine.  Assuming you meant that the new package was created (or
> updated if that's the correct term), I did the following which had no
> effect:
>
> sudo apt-get --reinstall install schooltool-zambia
>
> It stopped the server and asked me for a 'y' like it would during a
> fresh install, then it restarted the server, but nothing was new.
> Does that mean the package still doesn't have my new view?  Is it
> still waiting to be built on Launchpad?  I ran sudo apt-get update
> before the reinstall just in case that was needed, and I get a stupid
> error saying I should run apt-get update.  I attached the output as
> one file and my sources.list as another.

The --reinstall option is not needed. You only do that when a package is broken.

If you know that a package was updated, you do two commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install schooltool-zambia

The first one will update the lists of what is available, the second
one will update the package to the newest version.

As I see, apt-get update downloaded a newer list from schooltool dev
ppa, that should contain the newer zambia package.

$ apt-cache policy schooltool-zambia
schooltool-zambia:
  Installed: 0.0.2-1
  Candidate: 0.0.2-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.0.2-1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/schooltool-owners/dev/ubuntu/
lucid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The newest package available is installed for me.

As for the warning, it says that there is a duplicate line for
canonical partner repository. Try:

$ grep '^deb.*partner' /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
/etc/apt/sources.list:deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ lucid partner

If there is more than one line, delete it from on of the files and
then `apt-get update`.