Re: Fwd: schooltool development

Hi,

> I'd like to do get into development for Schooltool and the enter bug
> seems like an easy one to start out on. I've read the Developing
> Schooltool page and am a bit confused on the right way to do this.

  Let me dwell into details a bit (maybe too much, but better more than
less).

  SchoolTool is split into several python eggs, we use zc.buildout to
assemble them (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout).

  Each of our eggs has a corresponding branch in Launchpad:
lp:schooltool - core
lp:schooltool.gradebook - "American" style gradebook
lp:schooltool.lyceum.journal - attendance / "eastern" style gradebook

  So you'll need to get lp:schooltool.gradebook branch to work on
gradebook.  Let's assume you've checked out the gradebook branch like
this:
  $ bzr branch lp:schooltool.gradebook schooltool.gradebook_fixes

  $ ls ./gradebook_fixes/src/schooltool/

  You'll see it has only gradebook-related sources there.

  After running "make", You can also take a look at
./gradebook_fixes/parts/omelette/

  *Be careful* not to edit anything there, it's full of symlinks to the
eggs.  It's just there for read-only convenience.  But it gives you a
good overview of what was assmebled:

  $ ls ./gradebook_fixes/parts/omelette/schooltool
  $ ls ./gradebook_fixes/parts/omelette/zope

  Other interesting things to look at in ./gradebook_fixes:
 ./bin/python, setup.py, base.cfg and buildout.cfg.

  You can also run ./gradebook_fixes/bin/python - it's a "virtual
python" interpreter with correct libraries injected in it's sys.path.

> When with
>
> eggs += schooltool
>         schooltool.gradebook
>
> the gradebook doesn't seem to show up as an option when I run it.

  Ouch, I accidentally broke the automatic inclusion few days ago.
Fixed now.  Please run "make update", or "bzr up".

> I assume  to be using the schooltool.gradebook branch? Checkout out that
> I am unable to build it with the error
>
> Error: There is a version conflict.
> We already have: schooltool 1.4.2.1
> but schooltool.lyceum.journal 0.7.1dev-r243 requires 'schooltool>=1.5.0'.

  Just run "make update" or "bin/buildout -n".  Buildout, in certain
situations, fails to automatically resolve a working egg version set.
- -n option gets the newest eggs.

> I'm an experienced Django developer but have no experience with bzr or
> zope but I want to learn. If we decide to use this for our school,
> Cristo Rey New York, I'll be doing considerable development on it.

  Hopefully that's enough to get you started.  Zope may be quite
overwhelming at first, so feel free to ask in schooltool-developers
mailing list, or at #schooltool on freenode.net.

Cheers,
Justas

P.S.: I'll be on vacation for a week, but other developers are quite
friendly ;)