scratch team mailing list archive

Re: Scratch in universe or Ubuntu Software Center

On 13.05.2011, at 22:03, John Pugh wrote:

> Hey Amos,
>
> No worries. There are a few ways we can go about it.
> First...you can always go the route of the App Review Board -
> http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/freestable/ has all of the details.

That requires an OSI-approved license.

> The other way is that I might be able to get it into the software center
> via partner. Since Scratch is MIT licensed

Scratch is not "MIT licensed", at least not as the term "MIT license" is used in the free software community.

Scratch license:
http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_License/1.4License

MIT license:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

The OSI-approved MIT license grants "the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software". The Scratch license limits this to "the right to use, copy, publish, or distribute copies of the Software".

> I suggest the app review
> board first. If that is not working, do let me know and I'll see what I
> can do to get it in another way.

I guess you need to try the other way.

> I think this is a great tool for Ubuntu users to have so I'm happy to
> work with you to find the right way to get it into Ubuntu.
>
> JP

Indeed!

- Bert -