scratch team mailing list archive

Re: Scratch in universe or Ubuntu Software Center

On 05/13/2011 07:08 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 13.05.2011, at 22:03, John Pugh wrote:
>
>> Hey Amos,
>>
>> No worries. There are a few ways we can go about it.
>> First...you can always go the route of the App Review Board -
>> http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/freestable/ has all of the details.
>
> That requires an OSI-approved license.
>
>> The other way is that I might be able to get it into the software center
>> via partner. Since Scratch is MIT licensed
>
> Scratch is not "MIT licensed", at least not as the term "MIT license" is used in the free software community.

Well then...Scratch is Scratch licensed...ok. I'm paying attention now.

> Scratch license:
> http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_License/1.4License
>
> MIT license:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
>
> The OSI-approved MIT license grants "the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software". The Scratch license limits this to "the right to use, copy, publish, or distribute copies of the Software".
>
>> I suggest the app review
>> board first. If that is not working, do let me know and I'll see what I
>> can do to get it in another way.
>
> I guess you need to try the other way.

And the other way it is.

The "other way" will require a distribution agreement - is that
something that can be signed on behalf of Scratch?

If so, I'll forward it to the powers that be. If not, we may need to punt.

JP