Re: further power saving

Albert Vilella wrote:
> Thanks Mario for this info. I've updated the section in the launchpad group.
> Could you post the personal laptop-mode you mentioned somewhere?
> There is a personal package archive in the launchpad team. I think you
> should
> be able to upload files in it. Send me an attachment to my email address
> if you can't.

My modules are just banal modifications of the original laptop-mode
modules. I'm going to attach to this email but you can rewrite in a
cleaner way.

In the archive there are 4 files: copy the .conf files in the folder
/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/ and the rest in /etc/laptop-mode/modules/. You
should change the owner in root (chown root:root ...). I don't known if
non-ubuntu laptop-mode packages support these folders.

Now, when the HD is not spinning with the lowest brightness setting, the
power usage can reach the minimum of 9.2W (reported by powertop). :)

To reach a system where the hd doesn't spin often is difficult: there
are applications like firefox and gconfd the sync often the drive. This
spins the HD also using the laptop-mode. You could use ramdisks.

About the devices (cdrom, firewire, modem) switch off: do you know if
the modem is working? Which driver should I unload?

Mario