Re: switch-x-to.conf / sony-laptop problem with 2.6.31-15 kernel

Hello Alexandr Kindras,

Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 07:33 +0300 schrieb Nifty:
> > Ah! Jailbreaked BIOS! OK. But..
> > It may look the same but it is not. I have experimented with all
> > possible settings which the unlocked advanced settings allow you to set
> > but the "VGA Switching"=auto setting together with the kernel-comandline
> > is the best working solution (my experience, maybe differs for you).
> > You yourself described what happens. Moreover you have to change it all
> > the time between OS-Changes (e.g. Linux - Vista), or not?
>
> Actually I don't have any problem with unlocked BIOS. BIOS code isn't
> modified, only one bit in settings is changed. So I think - everything is fine,
> no matter what SONY says :)

It does not matter - and I did not mention that with one word - what
SONY says but what those settings in fact do with the acpi of your
laptop.
Of course does the switched bit for unlocking the BIOS nothing to your
ACPI. That was not what I wrote about.

> After I changed option "VGA Switching" to "static" - notebook works just
> as my previous VAIO VGN-SZ.

But this is no SZ, it is a Z.

> .. And no, you don't have to do anything, when
> use different OSes. I successfully install and use Linux, OpenBSD,
> Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and MacOsX86.

You did overlook that hot switching on Vista does not work with
                "VGA Switching"="static"
No way for hot switching from stamina into speed-mode (on Vista) with
that BIOS-setting.

> >> However, in theory, this should not affect the switch.
> >
> > Where did you pickup that 'theory'? I have experimented over and over
> > again, theory is dry ;-)
>
> I don't think you can be sure of what is right and what is not,
> when it comes to computers. Every second BIOS contains errors in the DSDT.

What do you try to say with 'every second BIOS'? That is statistical
speak. Not very helpfull while speaking about clearly defined issues.

> So I just assume that everything works as it should, and if it does
> not - try to fix it ;)

Ah, OK.

Then, to fix it, simply switch
"VGA Switching"="auto"
and boot your Linux with
acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"
because not _that_ is the 'hack' (like you wrote) but the switched BIOS
is the real hack.
After you switched it back to auto, everything will work again like it
should. 'static' is only for debug purposes and, ok, maybe you don't
want to use Vista, than its good.

But please, feel free to switch it how you feel today ;-) You paid for
that Hardware and you should be able to switch on any available setting.
Locking BIOSes and Patents on crippling OSes like this one:

                United States Patent: 7536726

(No, not from Sony, from Microsoft but Sony wil certainly be one of its
first appliers ;-) )

> > Please write here if you have a better settings-combination as the
> > default (not speaking about VT-settings)
>
> I'm not looking for "better" settings, but "VGA Switching",
> "Intel VT" related stuff and ability to change hdd controller mode is
> very helpfull.

For what? To make Hot-Switching on Vista get stuck (SCNR!)

But OK, you are right, BIOS should be open, at least for computer nerds
(what it in fact is after unlocking) ;-)

Regards,

Raphael