Re: vaio Z 3G Modem

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: André Bergner <andre.bergner.0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/11/13
Subject: Re: [Sony-vaio-z-series] vaio Z 3G Modem
To: Mike <michael.huettemann@xxxxxxxxx>

Thank you everybody for the fast reply.

I may be mistaken, but the Z41 (like my Z31) should have a Qualcomm
> Gobi WWAN module. This should be fully supported via the qcserial
> kernel module starting with the 2.6.31 series kernels. Ubuntu's 9.10
> alpha and beta did support it fully so that the 3G connection
> automatically appeared in network-manager (using Gnome).

Ahh, ok, I didn't know that. I was always wondering why I don't see any
Globetrotter
in lsusb but that Qualcomm thing.

> Right now it does not work and I haven't yet found the time to investigate.
>
> What was interesting though: on my system Norbert's rfkill-applet
> (0.6) only shows bluetooth and WIFI, no WWAN.

In the moment I have the same problem. I know I saw that once, looking
forward to that fix.

Is there an alternative to that Gnome network manager. I was playing around
with its UMTS option
because I thought it might work, but no connction.
But know since you are telling me that it should work out of the box I'm
wondering why it didn't work.
I have similar problems with usual DSL connection: works fine with pppoeconf
but networkmanger won't connect.
So an alternative would be nice.

If somebody has suggestions...

cheers,