Re: [OT] Installing Windows 7

Hi Norbert,

Am Samstag, den 14.11.2009, 19:28 +0100 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> BTW, for that laptop I also found a bios
> 	M3a - R2169M3b
> which seems to allow setting the VT bit in the BIOS, wow!!!

In that BIOS VT is free but boot with efi-boot-stick is locked.

For all the rest it is the same as R2168M3 but that one can be totaly
unlocked with of course a lot of more settings which can be made.

Like you unlocked the VT before as described here:
http://feature-enable.blogspot.com/2009/07/enable-vt-on-insydeh2o-based-sony-vaio.html

.. boot with EFI-Boot stick and enter

    setup_var 0x1af 0x1

to enable VT, exactly the same whay you can unlock the complete advanced
settings (including all VT-Settings and a lot more) from that bios with

    setup_var 0x25a 0x1
              ^^^^^

but with M3a - R2169M3b this is locked. And that is IMHO what the Sony
people wanted: Closing the EFI-hole. And to get the people away from
that BIOS where you can unlock realy everything, they offered
'unlocked-VT' as attractants.

> So now my question: Anyone having a good explanation?
>
> The problem is that I cannot actually update the bios now that my Windows
> has disappeared ... uahhhhhhh. Any ideas or help?

Did you already try with a Windows-Live CD/DVD
http://www.google.de/search?q=Windows+live-cd

like from Bart:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Just an idea.. I hope it helps you!