Re: Graphic card issue -- summary please

2009/12/2 Raphael Gradenwitz <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi André,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.12.2009, 13:49 +0100 schrieb André Bergner:
>
> >         >
> >         > So what I don't understand is that the system can access
> >         both cards
> >         > and linux drivers exist, what is the problem?
> >
> >         All your questions have been answerd in the mailing list
> >         thousends of
> >         times!
> >

> > I know. I'm following the discussion already for some time but my
> > question dows not seem to be answered, yet.
> > I try a rephrase...
> >

> > Ok, I see both cards with lspci (in Jaunty and Karmic). So there
> > should be no problem using them and switching between them via some
> > script.
> > So what is the whole problem? Why is everybody talking about booting
> > into windows and back into linux in order to use the Nvidea card?
> > What does that change?
>
> boot into windows and back into linux is absolutely not necessary!
>
> The VGN-Z with hybrid graphics changes by acpi which cards are 'visible'
> and which ar not.
>
> You can change the visibility with a hacked bios or with the kernel
> commandline.
>
> How to hack your BIOS is described here:
>

> http://feature-enable.blogspot.com/2009/07/enable-vt-on-insydeh2o-based-sony-vaio.html
>
> but be aware: not all BIOSes can be hacked and you do it on your own
> risk!
> It is NOT necessary to hack your BIOS!
>      ===
>
> Default the BIOS is set to 'automatic' since Vista can switch this 'hot'
> but Linux cannot yet.
>
> After booting (twice) with the kernel commandline like described here:
>
> http://global-social.net/sony-VGN-Zseries#comandline
>
> you will see only the GPU switched with the stamina<->speed slider;
> Intel in Stamina-Mode and nVidia in Speed-Mode
>
> If you boot without it, you'll see both but only the intel will be
> connected. That was the reason why your system did not seem to work
> after reboot because the Open-GL libs for nVidia where linked and the
> xorg.conf file for nVidia was parsed but only your intel GPU was
> connected to your LCD-Monitor.

Ahh, ok, thanks. That's what I wanted to know, which didn't com out from the
discussion (or hidden somewhere deep in it).

I have one other question. I've downloaded the OpenCL driver from NVidea and
would like to use those. Do you know if this is possible in combination with
your Janitor script or will this behave different?

regards,
André