Re: VGN-Zseries-janitor now supports debian (without upstart)

Hello Rex,

Am Montag, den 28.12.2009, 23:49 -0800 schrieb R Alemi:
> This is to thank Raphael and to testify that the janitor and the how
> to at http://global-social.net/sony-VGN-Zseries worked flawlessly with
> my Z555DN

Thank you for feedback, I am happy to read that.

Here some answers/suggestions:

> running Ubuntu Karmic 32 bit

Why x86 and not amd64 (x86_64)? x86 32bit does/can not use all available
resources..

>  and the new Bios update R2169M3 with out the need to downgrade to XP
> from Vista.

Try R2168M3 and unlock the hidden parts with an efi stick like linked in
my How-To. R2169M3 cannot be unlocked that way

> I use the HDMI output a lot

Me too! I use it to view hd movies on a Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM or
simply to work, using both, two X-Screens or Twinview.

> which worked very well, albeit the sound is still coming from the
> laptop instead of the TV and I am still working on it,

I assume you are using Pulse Audio. You must change your audio output to
Digital while hdmi is connected, that will give you the hdmi audio to
work. Works everything perfect here.

> and the screen switch needs to be done from the
> system->Administration->Nvidia X server settings

Correct. For the two X-Screens, I generate the xorg.conf file with
'nvidia-settings' and save it as 'xorg.conf.NVIDIA_2X-Screens' and the
normal (for one X-Screen) as 'xorg.conf.NVIDIA_1X-Screen' etc
(twinview ..) I only have to link the X- config I want to use to
xorg.conf.NVIDIA

ln -sf xorg.conf.NVIDIA_2X-Screens /etc/X11/xorg.conf.NVIDIA
or
ln -sf xorg.conf.NVIDIA_1X-Screen /etc/X11/xorg.conf.NVIDIA
or
ln -sf xorg.conf.NVIDIA_twinview /etc/X11/xorg.conf.NVIDIA
..

then run

        sudo switch-x-to nvidia
        restart gdm

voila ;-)

> not the Fn+F7 key but that is not a big deal for me.

     A. How you can assign events to Key-Combinations (like Fn+F7) is
        described inside of the 'acpi_create_nv_event' script. You can
        create your own event and assign it to that key-combination.
        Then you can start a script that does some detection and
        settings of your choice (eg. the above explained linkings) Not a
        big problem ;-)

>  Everything else, the led, fan, wireless, blue tooth, sound, mic,
> webcam, sleep, hibernate are working as far as I can see.

Fine.

> the bios update solved a problem where the machine would not power
> down automatically during the reboot.

My first BIOS had the same problem.

> Thank you, I can now proceed with removing Vista from my laptop
> Happy Holidays,

Why remove? It does not hurt when it is present. Beside Ubuntu Lucid,
Ubuntu Jaunty and Debian Squeeze I have as well installed a Windows
Vista (yes OK, last boot was more than one month ago) who knows,
sometimes it may be usefull and the Windows partitions are allways
mounted in the Linux OSes and work which I need in Windows is done on
ntfs (extern with eSATA or intern).

peace,
happy new year and
regards,