Re: Kernels and script for VPC ( and maybe VGN ) Z Series with Intel and NVidia both usable. Ubuntu 10.04 amd_64

Hi Adam,

I just wanted to thank you for your involvement, and also to give positive
feedback on my Sony Vaio Z11Z9E.

I've just merge your patch sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7-v3.patch, and I can
attest that the Nvidia card is powered off when I use the Intel internal GPU :
powertop gives good power consumption numbers, and the Xorg log only show the
Intel GPU (instead of the 2 GPU that were shown before).

About my config : I currently run under a 2.6.35.2 (with Kubuntu distrib) with
grub 1 (dual boot with Win 7) and use only the Intel GPU under Linux.
Also, raid 0 is working without the need to use grub2 (it seems to be a
problem shown on this list?).
About suspend to RAM, it works great when I issue sudo "pm-suspend" after
doing some tricks at resume (see below), but through KDE interfaces it keeps
going wrong without an inconvenient trick.
If someone have an idea? I give more information on the residual problem
below.

Regards,

	Eric

Suspend to RAM information (tested only with Intel GPU) :
(See also the thread "[Sony-vaio-z-series] VPCZ11Z9E - screen does not light
up on resume" for directly related information)

The suspend operation works well with the VPCZ11Z9E (I checked 2.6.33 through
2.6.35 under Kubuntu distrib). But resuming does not light up the screen
without some tricks.

1. First trick (not satisfactory) :

When resume step seems complete, plug an auxiliary monitor (does not need to
be powered...) through the VGA connector, and the laptop screen light up
immediately.

2. Second trick :
-------------------------

Basically put these line at the end of your resuming scripts:
xrandr --output DP3 --off
xrandr --output DP3 --auto

With pm-utils go there : /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/

Create a script with a name like : 01sony-vaio (don't forget chmod
+x). And put stuff like this :

#!/bin/sh
# light up laptop screen for vaio VPCZ11Z9E

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

resume_lapscreen()
{
    /usr/bin/xrandr --output DP3 --off
    /usr/bin/xrandr --output DP3 --auto
}

case "$1" in
        thaw|resume) resume_lapscreen ;;
        *) exit 0 ;;
esac

*WARNING* This is sufficient when you only directly issue the pm-suspend
command, but if you request suspend through KDE means, it does not work (and
you need to go on with the first trick). See below for more information.

Information took from precedent emails I sent on- and off-list:

#I delved deeper and I find that KDE use HAL scripts, and for suspend it is :
#
#/usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux
#
# And that script executes pm-suspend...
#I then compared the pm-suspend.log issued first when I type "sudo pm-suspend"
#(and all works well) and then through KDE features (where my monitor does not
#light up).
#
#The logs are the same except that my script containing the two commands with
#xrandr produces "Can't open display" twice, when I suspend through KDE
#features... Don't know why :/

After some discussion with Bernd Edler (off list), I created this script :

/usr/sbin/specific-resume-commands :

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAYUSER=`ps --no-heading -o user -C kdeinit4`
/usr/bin/xauth add `sudo -u $DISPLAYUSER -s /usr/bin/xauth list :0.0`
export DISPLAY=:0.0
/usr/bin/xrandr --output DP3 --off
/usr/bin/xrandr --output DP3 --auto

and call it through my pm-utils script (01sony-vaio) via sudo -s.
Here 01sony-vaio updated :

#!/bin/sh
# light up laptop screen for vaio VPCZ11Z9E

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

case "$1" in
        thaw|resume) sudo -s /usr/sbin/specific-resume-commands ;;
        *) exit 0 ;;
esac

But my pm-suspend.log shows these lines when I suspend from KDE means :

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01sony-vaio resume suspend:/usr/bin/xauth:  timeout
in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
/usr/bin/xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
/usr/bin/xauth: (argv):1:  bad "add" command line
No protocol specified
Can't open display :0.0
No protocol specified
Can't open display :0.0
Returned exit code 1.

And "resume from RAM" still works great when I directly type sudo pm-
suspend... (and the pm-suspend.log is ok)

This is the end of the story for the moment. I didn't try anything else since
then.