Re: experience with Adam's howto

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 01:30:35 Adam Hill wrote:
> 	Firstly for anyone who is about to go through what Justin has:
>
> 1) The README in my files directory is in no way meant to be a HOWTO... it
> is more like a set of notes and you really need to know a little more than
> for the average HOWTO!

Indeed, we could really use a howto.  I think I have enough written to the
mailing list now that I could blog something similar.

Even though your solution is mostly a hack, it does "work".  I'm writing this
message from the Z right now, with 1600x900 resolution and nvidia.

Certain things are still goofy.  Brightness keys don't work, suspend = crash,
etc, but this is all sort of par for the course with a new vaio and Linux...

What sucks the most is the old->new kernel reboot thing, and 30% keyboard
failure rate after boot (which, if it fails, means two more boots to try
again).  But, once the system is up and working (meaning your keyboard didn't
fail) it seems to be fine until you turn it off.

-Justin