Re: Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) Alpha 3

Hi

On 15/09/10 13:04, Mauri wrote:
Many thanks Jef, only the last question for recap.
From scratch, then I will do:
1) patch Bios.as per ur mail, I'll read this thread:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/473226-insyde-hacking-new-vaio-z-advanced-menu-bios.html

yep, I've done it with no problems at all (serie: vpncz12c5e)

2) disabled the RAID feature from the BIOS (install raid software or
lvm...or nothing :-) )

You can use Raid-0. I've used the ubuntu 10.04 server install CD with dmraid support and all went pretty well (just had to replace grub2 with grub1 [1]) and then "upgrade" to desktop installing ubuntu-desktop metapackage and some more stuff.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto#Live%20CD%20Installation%20%28Ubiquity%20graphical%20installer%29

3) update grub to add the i8042.nopnp option (mouse + keyboard issue)

right. And "i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.noloop" look to help to achieve stability.

4) set acpi_backlight=vendor  (thanks nacho, but if I want to use invidia?)

backlight control is not supported yet for nvidia, sorry :(

regards!

Many thanks to all staff.

Cheers,
Mauri