Re: Intel working on F14 with 2.6.37 - power consumption / screen light on after resume

Hi all,

I am now using these two kernels:

*2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64 (for normal work, while on AC power and when needing sound)*

This is the most recent kernel from fedora-updates. Although using official nvidia drivers X.org gets extremely unresponsive, by using noveau it's quite fast and ok (no 3D though, but not a problem for me).

I cannot change brightness :( anyone knows how to do it in this configuration? I tried "echoing" several files (like /proc/acpi/video/DGPU/LCD/brightness) but nothing happens.

Also while coming back from suspend can have as a consequence no backlight turned on. Putting the following in */usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01sony-vaio*: (don't forget to chmod +x this file) solves the issue, although sometimes it does not work and I have to manually (blinded) go to a VT terminal (CTRL+ALT+F2), login to root and execute manually pm-suspend and then resume again... then the screen is on and I can do ALT+F1 to get back to X.org.

#!/bin/sh
# light up laptop screen for vaio VPCZ11Z9E

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

resume_lapscreen()
{
if [ x$DISPLAY = x ]; then
export DISPLAY=:0
export XAUTHORITY="/home/$user/.Xauthority"
fi
/usr/bin/xrandr --output eDP-1 --off
/usr/bin/xrandr --output eDP-1 --auto
}

case "$1" in
        thaw|resume) resume_lapscreen ;;
        *) exit 0 ;;
esac

Instead of "*eDP-1*" you may have to use the hex identifier that appears while executing just:

xrandr --verbose

On battery power consumption reported by *powertop* is high because the nvidia GPU is active (around 17 Watts).

*2.6.37-0.1.rc1.git0.fc15.x86_64 (working on battery and no need of sound)*

This is the kernel Adam asked Fedora developers to patch with drm-intel-next. Intel video works ok (strange mirror effect while using 3d though) and by following the power optimizations available here (main thing is installing tuned):

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Power_Management_Guide/Example_Laptop.html

I am able to have the famous 10 Watts power consumption with brightness at the lowest! :)

Unfortunately sound does not work so I use this only when working on battery.

Anyone having more progress with these issues?

Kind regards,
David