Re: Who patched the bios of their VPC-Z11 successfully?

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 07:08:25 Philippe Piatkiewitz wrote:
> Adding  "acpi_osi=" actually worked with adams 2.6.37-6 kernel. I now
> can repeatedly boot that kernel in Speed mode (NVidia) without booting
> an old kernel in between.

I have a Z12 and can report that "acpi_osi=" lets me boot directly into a
recent kernel in Speed mode.  Very cool!

Does anyone know what this does exactly?  Is it the equivalent of modding the
BIOS to enable static switching?  The reason I ask is because after months of
being stubborn, I am ready to mod my BIOS (since I keep reading good stories
of people who have done it), however if this kernel param has the same effect
then maybe I don't have to.

> Now I only need resume to work... It seems to go to sleep fine when I
> close the lid, only when I try to resume it reboots from scratch
> instead. Any solution for that yet?

I think this is more of a problem with bleeding edge kernels and less about
the Z.  I am still using Adam's 2.6.35-rc6 kernel, and thanks to the above
kernel param trick I can now suspend/resume.  In fact, this is the first time
I've ever seen suspend/resume work.  Previously, suspend while using NVidia
wouldn't survive a reboot (due to dynamic switching), and suspend while using
Intel never worked because I have yet to run a kernel where both working Intel
and working suspend coexisted.

So, I am not sure, but I think to have suspend you need the rare combination
of static switching, NVidia, and a somewhat stable kernel.  Well, I say "rare"
because on this mailing list I think more people are interested in dynamic
graphics, Intel, and bleeding edge kernels. :)

-Justin