Vaio VPCZ1390x audio

In my continuing saga of trying to get my VPCZ1390x running linux nicely, I've made a tiny bit of progress on the audio front -- Adam's kernel seems to correctly report an HDA device based on RealTek; it just isn't working.

After some digging, it seems David Henningsson is the developer most likely to have tools for resolving these issues. He has a package for debugging hda-sound devices in PPA; the amd64 maverick binary is at https://launchpad.net/~diwic/+archive/maverick/+build/1903383

Using the instructions he provides in the readme of that package, I found that the driver reports the device to be a Realtek ALC889 codec with:
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0889
Subsystem Id: 0x104d4400
Revision Id: 0x100005

Was this working out of the box for anyone else? If not -- what did you do to get it to work?
---Shai