Setting up vpz11x9eb fails to use both cards after NVIDIA installation

Good morning,

contrary to many others in this group I do have problems setting up my
vpz11x9eb to be able to use both graphic cards :-( Here's what I'm doing,
quite desperate after many hours of try and error inbetween (I consider
myself intermediate with linux)

- patched bios, graphic-switch to static, put on "speed"
- install ubuntu 10.10 alternate
- first boot with nomodeset
-> all looks as expected

option 1 from here:
- installed adam's patched kernel 2.6.37
- installed adam's upstart
[- do NOT install nvidia]
-> laptop boots fine on both cards, just no 3d effects
-> lspci shows correct modules loaded in both modes
- installed nvidia (260.19.36) in "speed", let the installer do all the
configuration (generate xorg.conf, blacklist nouveau)
- laptop boots fine ins "speed", but into terminal-window at "stamina"
- followed adam's "sudo apt-get --reinstall install libgl1-mesa-glx"
- still boots into terminal
-> "startx" says: NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVDIA kernel module

option 2 (instead of option 1)
- installed newest kernel 2.6.38-020638rc5
[- do NOT install nvidia]
-> laptop boots fine on both cards, just no 3d effects possible
-> lspci shows correct modules loaded in both modes
- installed nvidia (260.19.36) in "speed", let the installer do all the
configuration (generate xorg.conf, blacklist nouveau)
- laptop boots fine ins "speed", but into terminal-window at "stamina"
- followed adam's "sudo apt-get --reinstall install libgl1-mesa-glx"
- still boot into terminal
-> "startx" says: NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVDIA kernel module

So basically it boils down to the fact that I corrupt / misconfigure my
intel drivers for whenever I install NVIDIA. From my understanding in option
1, adam's upstart script should take care of the right modules being in the
right place, and in option 2 the kernel 2.6.38 should be able to deal with
two cards / drivers (at least that's what I understand after 3 nights of
mailing lists and blogs ;-) )

Probably something obvious I'm missing, but as said before: "I need some
help..." :-)

Cheers,
Jan

Follow ups