Re: Setting up vpz11x9eb fails to use both cards after NVIDIA installation

Hi Jan,

Although the latest kernel do provide support for most of the hardware on
the sony laptop, my understanding (it is working on my machine) is that you
still have to install the sony-laptop module (version 0.9np7) and preferably
patched with Adam's patch (sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7-v3.patch).

Like you, I was unsure whether I had to install the module or not. I noticed
that if I do not install the module, the LED for the switch SPEED/STAMINA
does not work properly), so I assume it is more or less a requirement (but
maybe someone will contradict me) and maybe the module is responsible for
creating the entry in the /sys/devices/...

The upstart script is used to switch between configurations (and in
particular between the GL librairies) ... it is

Below is the method I used to have the module installed ...

To have the module installed regardless of the kernel you are running, I
suggest you use *dkms.
*

   1. download sony-laptop module from
   http://www.logic.at/people/preining/software/
   2. download Adam's patch from http://www.voip-x.co.uk/files/adam/
   3. follow instructions from
   http://global-social.net/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=3 on how to use dkms
   to manage the module (follow the instructions, but don't forget to patch the
   module before building and installing the module)

Hopefully, once the module is installed, everything will work properly.

Note: I strongly suggest you try to get the laptop to work in Stamina mode
first before trying to get the Speed mode working (even if using the nvidia
card is a strong requirement). I think managing to get the Intel card
working is "easier" since the drivers have better support within the kernel.
For that purpose you may want to ensure that you purge/clean-up any change
related to the nvidia configuration (see my
comments<http://linux-on-sony-vaio-z.wikispaces.com/VPCZ135GG>at the
end of my page on the wiki)

Let us know if it works or not. I would like also to invite you to document
your attempt (be it successful or not, and the pending issues you have with
the hardware) on the following wiki (
http://linux-on-sony-vaio-z.wikispaces.com/) so that it can benefit other
owners of your laptop model.

Cheers,