kubuntu 11.04 and nvidia display power issues

Like many others, I've upgraded to 11.04 (from 10.10) and most things are working ok.  Stamina mode seems to work perfectly but I'm having some issues with speed.  I've tried using both the stock 2.6.38 from kubuntu and the current ppa 2.6.39.  I'm currently passing no kernel parameters (I've hacked the bios for static switching) aside from nosplash; I've tried acpi_osi= with no obvious difference.  I'm running the current nvidia proprietary drivers.  I'm using the appropriate np7/np8pre1 for 2.6.38 or 2.6.39.

I have at least 2 issues.  First, on kdm starting, I have a blank screen and never see the nvidia driver starting screen.  This happens most of the time, sometimes everything is ok.  Switching to a text console and stopping/starting kdm and the X works ok.  Usually I have to do this a couple of times before X starts ok.  There are no errors displayed anywhere that I can find in either event.

The 2nd even more annoying issue is the something gets confused (again, only on nvidia) whenever there is some sort of power related display event (closing the lid, adding an hdmi display with nvidia-settings, (un)plugging power) where the internal display (in X mode only) will go black.  Changing the power (e.g, plugging or unplugging) will change the state back to on but then I'm stuck in that mode.  After fiddling with a sequence of lid/power I will find a combination that fools X into turning back on the screen.  It seems to be that something in power.d is hosed but I'm not sure what.  Any ideas?

A side note, some have had issues with a black screen during boot on speed - trying editing grub to remove the graphics line (I haven't yet looked into making this persistent) and you may find the text part of the boot sequence works better.  With this line in, I don't get a display until graphical mode pops up which is unuseable for me as my disk is luks encrypted.

For me, the microphone still doesn't work after the 11.04 upgrade with either kernel and regardless of speed/stamina.
Thanks,
Jon