Re: Issues installing 0.9np8pre3 module

Norbert,

With 2.6.35 kernel and NVIDIA I can see power usage in powertop. It is usually around 25Wh at idle, varying between 20-30Wh. On occasion it drops to 17Wh.

Are you sure that lspci | grep VGA showing both cards is not an issue?

From the research I have done it seems like the excessive power consumption is related to kernel power management issues, which have only become worse in recent kernels. I guess I was expecting the sony module to somehow enable power management features not recognized/enabled by the kernel out of the box, but this doesn't seem to be the case, other than the ability to disable bluetooth.

Did you run powertop as root and *while* the AC is *UNPLUGGED*?

Yes, I ran it with sudo and unplugged. On 2.6.40 kernel it shows 0Wh, on 2.6.35 it shows ~25Wh. Apparently it's an older version.

So what do you want? You can use these handles to control practically...

I know I can "echo " parameters, but how do I set the module parameters at boot time? Do you just create an entry under /etc/modprobe.d and set the options there? What about the module loading order, etc?

thanks,
Leo