Re: Issues installing 0.9np8pre3 module

On Sa, 03 Sep 2011, Leonardo Rodriguez wrote:
> powertop reports 'no ACPI power usage estimate available', and

Did you run powertop as root and *while* the AC is *UNPLUGGED*?

Is your powertop/etc uptodate?

> $cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state shows anywhere from 20Wh 30+Wh (idle)
> on either speed or stamina mode. it never goes below 20Wh

Interesting ... I see only BAT0 not BAT1 ..?!?

> Using the Gnome cpu frequency applet and powertop I can the the cpu's
> idling at 1.20 GHz. The applet seems to be working correctly.

That is fine.

> This looks different from yours:
>
> $ ls /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/

Well, because you have a different model. I don't have ALS on mine.

> als_backlight         als_defaults  als_lux      als_power
> battery_care_limiter  handles        kbd_backlight_timeout  odd_power
> speed_stamina  thermal_control   touchpad
> als_backlight_levels  als_kelvin    als_managed  battery_care_health
> driver                kbd_backlight  modalias               power
> subsystem      thermal_profiles  uevent

So what do you want? You can use these handles to control practically
everything?!?! What are you searching for?

Cared to read the description of the files there in the package I provided?

> $sudo powertop

Ahhh, that is the old powertop, I actually prefer it over the new one ;-)

> Wakeups-from-idle per second : 511.8    interval: 15.0s

A bit high but not too bad.

>   31.0% (289.2)   [ahci] <interrupt>

Are you doing disk intense operation? If yes, then you cannot expect the
power usage to go down to 10W. For that you need to have *everyting*
in memory and don't save to disk.

Best wishes

Norbert
GRIMSBY (n.)
A lump of something gristly and foultasting concealed in a mouthful of
stew or pie. Grimsbies are sometimes merely the result of careless
cookery, but more often they are placed there deliberately by
Freemasons. Grimbies can be purchased in bulk from any respectable
Masonic butcher on giving him the secret Masonic handbag. One is then
placed correct masonic method of dealing with it. If the guest is not
a Mason, the host may find it entertaining to watch how he handles the
obnoxious object. It may be (a) manfully swallowed, invariably
bringing tears to the eyes. (b) chewed with resolution for up to
twenty minutes before eventually resorting to method (a) (c) choked on
fatally. The Masonic handshake is easily recognised by another Mason
incidentally, for by it a used grimsby is passed from hand to
hand. The secret Masonic method for dealing with a grimsby is as
follows : remove it carefully with the silver tongs provided, using
the left hand. Cross the room to your host, hopping on one leg, and
ram the grimsby firmly up his nose, shouting, 'Take that, you smug
Masonic bastard.'
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff