Re: VPCZ2?

Hi Kev,

On Mo September 5 2011 15:49:08 kjames wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 09:07 +0200, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > Hi Kev,
> >
> > that's strange, I use opensuse 11.4 as well. Maybe I should be more
> > detailed about the issues:
> >
> > - 3D acceleration/graphics: works well as well over here, fortuntately it
> > is only 1 graphics card :-)
> > - suspend: the display is completely off after resume, I think the
> > machine is up and running though
> >
> >   when booting the machine I also had to add the kernel option
> >   "nomodeset" as
> >
> > the same happened in this case
> >
> >   what did you do to make suspend work?
>
> Worked out of the box for me - I don't have any special kernel options
> set
>
> > - keyboard backlight, wifi, network, rfkill switch, works as well
> > - touchpad: The buttons are part of the touch area, therefore it is
> > called a "clickpad". The driver needs to honor these buttons. Do you use
> > tapping to click? Over here multitouch works fine and I can use it more
> > or less. However, right click using the button and Click+drag doesn't
> > work.
>
> Two-fingered right click works for me (although it took me three weeks
> before a Mac-using friend of mine pointed out how to right click!)

same here

> Click+drag works but is a pain in the butt to use.

you mean, yoy tap first and than you drag? The  mouse behaviour doing hw-
button press (keeping it pressed) and than dragging doesn't work for anybody
else.

Sorry for insisting. I am of course hoping for a myrical solution you have :-)

> >  I started looking into
> >
> > the synaptics driver. Spending a full weekend I found out the following:
> > the official synaptics driver (up to 1.5.0) doesn't care about clickpads
> > at all. Distributions have various sets of patch sets which at least
> > enable multitouch features. However, they don't enable the buttons for
> > me and I didn't find confirmation anybody has solved the click&drag yet.
> > - how about mic and brightness?
>
> Just tested the mic using Skype - all working perfectly.
> Brightness adjustment with FN-F6 and FN-F6 is working.
>

> As a full disclaimer, I am running the Tumbleweed version of openSuSE
> 11.4 (rolling updates) - see http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

I've upgraded to Tumbleweed kernel 3.0.1, but it didn't help with the video
issue. Which kernel are you running?

> However, all this was working with a stock 11.4 (with normal updates). I
> have not tried installing the sony-laptop module mentioned on this
> mailing list, as everything seems to be working without it. I'm not sure
> I need it..

You mean a downloaded version of 11.4? And everything worked? This is contrary
to my own experience as well as what others report about old kernels. But
maybe also I misunderstood you.

And you really running this on the brand new VPCZ2 model?

Best,
Eva