Re: Fwd: Linux on VPC-Z21

Norbert, Thanks for the reply. More comments below:

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Recently someone posted a fix for ivybridge or so here on the list,
> > > it fas some  blablabla disable for i915.
> > >
> > > I'll dig around and see if I can find that.
>
> No need, you have it already, it was the:
>         i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
> See
>
> http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?59524-Linux-3.1-Kernel-Draws-More-Powe
> r-With-Another-Regression/
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1
>
> Yeah, I had seen those.

> > Yes that is with the intel card running. The radeon is in the external
> media
> > dock.
>
> Hmm, then this is really a problem. Which kernel? Do you compile yourself
> of take a distribution kernel?

I'm using 3.1-rc4 from kernel.ubuntu.com . I did compile the mesa 7.12 stuff
though.

> There are permanent updates to the new Sandy/Ivy/whatever-I-forgot/-brige
> permanently going on in the kernel updates.

I will look into that. See if they have any fixes in the new kernels.

> > > believe
> > > AuthenTec,
> > >
> > > No, probably only the permissions are not set properly for the usb sys
> fs
> > > so you cannot read it.
> > >

> > Could you tell me which file to look for so I can change the
> perrmissions? I
>
> For the permissions you have to add an udev rule.
>
> > think actually that the card id is too new. looking at the Authentec site
> it
> > says that my card (id:  08ff:168f) is the same as 08ff:1680 and 1660
> >

> http://support.authentec.com/KnowledgeBase/KBview/tabid/843/ArticleId/299/Identifying-your-Fingerprint-Sensor-Model.aspx
> >
> > Where fingerprint-gui site says they only support the 08ff:1600 here:
> > https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fingerprint-gui
>
> Then you have to recompile fingerprint stuff and add this id, not that
> I know how to, but I compile it once and now forgot it, since I am
> not using it anyway.

Yeah, not sure I want to go through that trouble. I'm not sure how much
value it actually has...

> > Ok, So I can re-encrypt everything and I should be able to get it
> working?
>
> encrypted or not does not change these kind of things.
>
> > P.S. Where are you in Japan? I lived there for many years.
>
> Kanazawa, Ishikawa-ken. And you? What did you do there?

I lived in Tokyo Setagaya-ku, Meguro-ku,  Marketing for gaishikei ;)