Re: [VPCZ2] How to get Huawei Gobi 3000 working with kernel 3.2 ?

As with gobi 2000, the gps module needs to be enabled before it can be used. I won't be surprised if gobi 3000 actually removes the GPS port if it's not enabled. You can try and go to windows and enable gps and then reboot into linux to see if you get another serial interface. Then the question is whether the interface is actually active or not (if there is any GPS data on it) . And then make sure you have the same version of the GobiSerial code since I think there are few iterations of it.

The problem with GobiNet is that it exposes a net interface for the raw communication but you need to use the GobiAPI and a USB device that GobiNet creates to configure the connection and all the bits that NetworkManager and pppd do with the serial connection via AT commands at the moment ( like route and DNS settings, connection quality and requirements, IPs, etc)

>From what I've read, the NetworkManager devs are currently waiting on Google to open source some of the code they wrote (for GoogleOS) that uses GobiAPI (or a re-write of GobiAPI) in conjunction with GobiNet to get the device running. That's supposed to happen any time now since Qualcomm open-sourced the GobiAPI code.
I couldn't tell if GPS is included in that (Google code that is) but there is stuff in the GobiAPI that enables and disables the GPS and if we have a usable GobiAPI library we should be able to get the GPS going.