Software RAID 0 on Vaio SVZ1311C5E

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding setup of Debian/Ubuntu software RAID 0
on Vaio SVZ1311C5E. I've read Julien Danjous blog entry:

  http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2012/sony-vaio-SVZ13-linux

and also Gerald Nunns detailed howto on a clean install of Ubuntu 12.10:

  http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/702661-clean-install-ubuntu-12-10-sony-vaio-z-svz-2012-how.html

I have a SVZ1311C5E with 2 x 128 Gbyte SSD disks and 8 GB memory. This
is where I am now:

I've removed fakeraid and installed Ubuntu 12.04.1 with out any
special partition setup and have not installed software RAID. It seems
to work fine (and fast!). However I only have one of the disks mounted
on /. No swap and no separate partition for /home or /var.

So my questions are:

  1. What is the benefit of using software RAID 0?

  2. Silly question maybe (I'm not a RAID expert). If I decide to
setup software RAID 0, do I then lay out file system partitions on top
of that? Are there any implications for the partitioning scheme due to
using RAID 0 that I should/need to be aware of?

  3. What would you recommend as a partitioning scheme? Is there any
need for a swap partition? Is 2 x memory still applicable rule of
thumb for swap? Is 32 Gbyte sufficient for / and boot?

  4. Is there any other setting I should be aware of in order to save
writes to the SSD disks?

Thanks in advance for any help,

/Paul

--