Re: Dual GPU

Doh - hit Control-Enter before I had finished the email... Full email
below...

An update...

I also have Sony Vaio VPCZ21.

I have just installed Linux Mint 16 Petra (using cinnamon) and can now work
with my laptop monitor and an external monitor on the docking station
without having to setup an xorg.conf. It just worked out of the box - if I
boot with the docking station plugged in to the laptop. (I did not test
with the latest Ubuntu - but it may well work there too as Mint builds on
Ubuntu).

I have only tested VGA on the docking station and Laptop LCD on the laptop,
but I can get the usual extended display, with windows seamlessly
displaying across both displays.

The X server detects and loads the intel and the radeon driver. The Xserver
configures itself so the Intel chip is the display manager, but I do get a
nice unified dual head display.

"glxinfo | grep renderer" shows:
     OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

Furthermore, I can use xrandr to configure the radeon as an offload render
for the intel graphics card:

    xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink 0x47 0x80

"glxinfo | grep renderer" shows:
     OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

while "DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep renderer" shows:
     OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS

which indicates that the render offload to the radeon is indeed apparently
working.

I confess I am still experimenting to understand just what is going on
here, and how the displays are being managed :-).

Now, just trying to get hotplug working smoothly with the dock again.

Linux Mint boots even faster than Ubuntu did on this laptop - which is
pretty darn quick.....

Cheers,
Glenn.