spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #78956]: "OS Specific" categorization

Question #78956 on SpreadUbuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/spreadubuntu/+question/78956

Ruben Romero proposed the following answer:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Evan Boldt <
question78956@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> New question #78956 on SpreadUbuntu:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/spreadubuntu/+question/78956
>
> First of all, I would like to say that the "OS Specific" label seems
> clunky. Currently, the label describes Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and I think
> a few more buntu's. I am considering changing the label and adding a few
> more categories to it.
>
> 1) What other "topics" would be desirable on the SpreadUbuntu site?
>
> It has been suggested that a "Not Distro Specific" category could be added,
> as well as the much more vague "GNU/Linux" and "FLOSS" categories.
>
> While these at first seem like they may deviate from the our overall goal,
> keep in mind some important things.
>
> Ubuntu is GNU/Linux and is FLOSS, so in order to popularize it, we have to
> clear some common misconceptions people have about both of things.
>
> For example: Martin wants to add his "Understanding FOSS" slide show. It's
> not Ubuntu branded, but it could be helpful to LoCo's. Which category should
> he add it to?

This is a little tricky, but we should definitely add a category that would
make sense to Martin and for our users.

> If the SpreadUbuntu site becomes too cluttered with materials that are not
> Ubuntu related, the default "Get Materials" filter could be changed from all
> categories to only Ubuntu so that it only shows Ubuntu categorized materials

True, we could branch out materials that are not ubuntu related and
differentiate between those that are and those that are not.

I know that at least a few people in the Fedora community is interested in
our work. But for such a differentiation it seems to me that it would make
more sense to actually take our code and build their own database of
material than actually having the Fedora material at the Spread Ubuntu site.

I for one would like to see this effort used by other communitites as well
(thinking specially of Gnome marketing)

> 2) What would be a better label for "OS Specific"?
> The answer to that question may vary depending on the answer to the
> previous question.
> Examples: "Topic" "Subject" "Distro Specific".
> It depends on what categories are chosen.
>
> Instead of OS Specific we could use "Ubuntu Flavours" or something along
those lines.

It seems to me that it make sense to make material available for the Ubuntu
LoCo even if it's not directly Ubuntu specific. But adding material that
would be specific of other distroes could really be too confusing for our
users and contributors alike.

regards,

Rubén Romero
http://launchpad.net/~huayra

SpreadUbuntu, which is an answer contact for SpreadUbuntu.