spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: New Design Discussion and Feedback

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 12:06 -0600, Evan Boldt wrote:
> Looks great!
>

> I'm not sold on the bottom part - the 'top rated materials' part. It
> doesn't look quite as nice as everything else. I think I want some
> kind of a mixture of the pager at the top with the current design.
> Maybe this time with only one row of materials.
The design of the bottom part can be changed of course, but the idea I'm
trying to get across is that, rather than just show off a series of nice
images, why not present a small selection of "good marketing efforts"
and educate people in marketing at the same time.
Something that says "These materials are good, and this is why: ...",
showing people why and how something is good from a marketing
point-of-view. This would be a joint effort with the marketing team.
Not only would we be a resource for material, but we could then
seriously strive to become Ubuntu's marketing base.

This is, if you want, the other side of SpreadUbuntu. What we've been
focusing on until now is merely what we used to call the DIY section,
why not extend the reach of SU, and integrate the marketing team in the
effort, to set up an Ubuntu Marketing Blog? As well as maintain the blog
with current and past marketing events, the marketing team would select
a couple of top-rated materials every month, with the branding and image
of Ubuntu in mind.
This way, the top half of the site would be completely dedicated to the
DIY section, and in the bottom half, where the "Top rated materials of
the month" is on the mockup, the marketing team would practically and
effectively set the direction for Ubuntu marketing efforts.

> I agree with Paolo about using just the verb in the top navigation,
> except I want it made clear that those links are related to materials.
If you want it, then so be it. ;)
Separating the materials-links from the login-links by a slightly
thicker line would probably do the trick... also, see lower down.

>  It would need some kind of label or something that says that all of
> those links pertain to marketing materials.
> I really like having icons. Perhaps we could make white silhouettes
> (cutouts) of icons and use them in that orange row. Maybe even give it
> an inner shadow.
In my opinion, putting icons in the top bar would not fit into the
design of the new branding.
Just the verb is of course better than adding "materials" at the end,
like I suggested in the other e-mail, but honestly, I don't think it
needs anything else. First-timers are immediately going to focus on the
content of the homepage (where the 4 areas of SU are explained) and once
they've understood that, more guidance will only clutter things up imo.

> The second row of get make translate share looks great, but I think I
> would replace those icons with the current ones. Do we want to turn
> the current icons orange?
Again, why not stay in-line with the new branding?
My suggestion was to make a new set of 4 icons in the same orange style.
(Get, Make, Translate and Share)

> I like how simple it is, but is there any other information we want on
> the page? It doesn't say anything about what SpreadUbuntu is. I don't
> know if its necessary. The information on that screen makes it pretty
> obvious.
Agreed, the SpreadUbuntu site is a site to spread Ubuntu, the short info
next to the icons explains the rest really... and if there is doubt, why
not add a FAQ rather than go about explaining everything in the menus?
Less is more... ;)

> I know that canonical is using it in their template and you just took
> their screenshot, but I'm not a fan of the dots.
> Am I the only one?
If we, who want to become the central Ubuntu marketing resource, do not
follow the community guidelines about *branding*, who will?

We mustn't forget that Spread Ubuntu is before all a site which should
show the way of Ubuntu marketing to the community marketeers. I'm not a
fan of several things either, but when thinking of what SpreadUbuntu
should look like, following the current look and feel set by Canonical
is a top priority. We shouldn't blindly follow them, as Ubuntu still
belongs to the community. But in terms of marketing, I must admit that I
entirely trust a company that focuses every day, during many hours and
also via professional studies, on actually "spreading Ubuntu".