Re: [Introduction] Hello and Welcome :)

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Marti van Lin <martivanlin@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>>             On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad)
>>             <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>                 Hi StartUbuntu Members :)
>>
>>                 Hello and Welcome to StartUbuntu Project and Thank You
>>                 for joining this team!
>>
>>                 I will try my best to keep this short and simple. Now,
>>                 we do have 33 members and this is really nice but we
>>                 seek quality over quantity and I am sure everyone is
>>                 here to help and contribute to this project :)
>>
>>                 I have seen so many new names joining which I've never
>>                 met or known before. So, allow me to introduce myself.
>>
>>                 My name is Ali and amjjawad is my username on Ubuntu
>>                 Communities and this should tell you more about me:
>>                 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**amjjawad<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>
>>                 I believe all of you have read StartUbuntu Wiki Page
>>                 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**StartUbuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu>),
>> obviously,
>>                 otherwise, you wouldn't be here :P
>>
>>                 This is an introduction email. I'd like and looking
>>                 forward to get to know all of you (some over here, I do
>>                 know them more than I do know myself :D but others don't
>>                 so I appreciate if they could be so kind and write few
>>                 lines about them, please).
>>
>>                 So, please, all what you need to do is:
>>
>>                 1- Hit Reply All to this Email
>>                 2- Introduce yourself
>>                 3- Your short story about Linux (how and when you
>>                 started, etc)
>>                 4- The purpose of joining this team - what will you do
>>                 to this team?
>>                 5- Anything else that you would like to add :)
>>
>>                 So, let's get started :)
>>
>>                 I think, I have done my part :P my Wiki Page should tell
>>                 you everything about me ;)
>>
>>                 Now, your turn!
>>
>>                 Thank you for joining and it is a pleasure to be with
>>                 you all :)
>>
>>                 --
>>                 Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>                 Best Regards,
>>                 amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**amjjawad<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>> >
>>                 Areas of Involvement
>>                 <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
>> >
>>                 My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>
>>

>>  Hello all,
>
> My name is Marti van Lin, from Maastricht the Netherlands and my handle is
> ML2MST (the callsign of my previous CB Packet Radio Station).

Hello and thanks for your reply, Marti van Lin :)

What an amazing day? we have so far 3 new members from 3 different
countries speaking 3 different languages? is this my lucky day? :D

> I started using GNU/Linux in 1999, bought SuSE Linux 6.1 Professional back
> then. In 2006 I started using, and more important Alpha- and Beta testing
> Ubuntu.

In 1999, I have gotten my very first machine and at that time, I hadn't
used Linux. I started in 2009 then stopped then again in 2010 and since
then, I couldn't stop and within 3 years, I have become one of the most
active contributors in Ubuntu Communities and Team Leader for 3 different
projects at the same time :) you see, Linux changes people and those with
passion, they will contribute back so this is what we all have in common ;)

> I helped solving problems with Xorg on Laptops, by reporting the problem
> "no screens found" and attaching the output of some diagnose programs (lshw
> etc.), during the Jaunty Jackalope development cycle.

What an impressive old record. You are needed, good Sir :D

> I signed up to the Startubuntu initiative because it builds on Lubuntu
> IIRC, which is a much better choice then "stock" Ubuntu for Windows XP
> converts IMHO.

Yes, I am coming from a community who believe in this :D so no worries, you
are not alone ;)

> I Propose a (optional) Windows XP Luna Look alike theme, which is a
> collection of existing bits and pieces from Gnome-look and Box-look. Namely:
>
> 1. GTK2 theme;
> 2. Icon theme;
> 3. Openbox (window) theme.
>
> Having a common look and feel *might* help these long term Windows XP
> users (which sticked to XP because they obviously dislike change) to switch
> to Ubuntu.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> --

That is really nice. I do know someone who started the same project and he
introduced that to Lubuntu Team. If you are interested, I can arrange for
you two to have a chat or something if you want? how about that? he was
doing the same thing as far as I know :)

What I need from you, the same as I asked the other two friends and team
mates to do and to make life easier, there you go:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/Activities

Thank you so much!
Best Regards,