Re: [Introduction] Hello and Welcome :)

On 18-09-13 23:55, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Marti van Lin <martivanlin@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:martivanlin@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                     On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad)
                     <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

                         Hi StartUbuntu Members :)

                         Hello and Welcome to StartUbuntu Project and
        Thank You
                         for joining this team!

                         I will try my best to keep this short and
        simple. Now,
                         we do have 33 members and this is really nice
        but we
                         seek quality over quantity and I am sure
        everyone is
                         here to help and contribute to this project :)

                         I have seen so many new names joining which
        I've never
                         met or known before. So, allow me to introduce
        myself.

                         My name is Ali and amjjawad is my username on
        Ubuntu
                         Communities and this should tell you more about me:
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/__amjjawad
        <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

                         I believe all of you have read StartUbuntu Wiki
        Page
                         (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/__StartUbuntu
        <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu>), obviously,
                         otherwise, you wouldn't be here :P

                         This is an introduction email. I'd like and looking
                         forward to get to know all of you (some over
        here, I do
                         know them more than I do know myself :D but
        others don't
                         so I appreciate if they could be so kind and
        write few
                         lines about them, please).

                         So, please, all what you need to do is:

                         1- Hit Reply All to this Email
                         2- Introduce yourself
                         3- Your short story about Linux (how and when you
                         started, etc)
                         4- The purpose of joining this team - what will
        you do
                         to this team?
                         5- Anything else that you would like to add :)

                         So, let's get started :)

                         I think, I have done my part :P my Wiki Page
        should tell
                         you everything about me ;)

                         Now, your turn!

                         Thank you for joining and it is a pleasure to
        be with
                         you all :)

                         --
                         Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one
        of us."

        <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/__amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement
        <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>>
                         My Projects
        <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>

    Hello all,

    My name is Marti van Lin, from Maastricht the Netherlands and my
    handle is ML2MST (the callsign of my previous CB Packet Radio Station).

Hello and thanks for your reply, Marti van Lin :)

Hello Ali and thanks for your reply to :-)

What an amazing day? we have so far 3 new members from 3 different
countries speaking 3 different languages? is this my lucky day? :D

Are you a multiple language lover or is it important for the project?

My native Language is Limburgish, my second native language is Dutch, my third native language is German (which I speak fluently), I'm pretty good at English as well. Hebrew is my favorite language. Unfortunately nobody in my social network speaks it, but drop me 3 days in Israel and I'll speak it fluently again :) And if you know Hebrew, Arabic is pretty easy to learn, since it's almost identical. <3

    I started using GNU/Linux in 1999, bought SuSE Linux 6.1
    Professional back then. In 2006 I started using, and more important
    Alpha- and Beta testing Ubuntu.

In 1999, I have gotten my very first machine and at that time, I hadn't
used Linux. I started in 2009 then stopped then again in 2010 and since
then, I couldn't stop and within 3 years, I have become one of the most
active contributors in Ubuntu Communities and Team Leader for 3
different projects at the same time :) you see, Linux changes people and
those with passion, they will contribute back so this is what we all
have in common ;)

Wow, that's cool.

I'm more a "work behind the scenes" type of guy. But I am an ex "Ubuntu Steunpunt" (a volunteer of the Dutch/Belgian Ubuntu community who provides volunteering support to Ubuntu users).

    I helped solving problems with Xorg on Laptops, by reporting the
    problem "no screens found" and attaching the output of some diagnose
    programs (lshw etc.), during the Jaunty Jackalope development cycle.

What an impressive old record. You are needed, good Sir :D

    I signed up to the Startubuntu initiative because it builds on
    Lubuntu IIRC, which is a much better choice then "stock" Ubuntu for
    Windows XP converts IMHO.

Yes, I am coming from a community who believe in this :D so no worries,
you are not alone ;)

    I Propose a (optional) Windows XP Luna Look alike theme, which is a
    collection of existing bits and pieces from Gnome-look and Box-look.
    Namely:

    1. GTK2 theme;
    2. Icon theme;
    3. Openbox (window) theme.

    Having a common look and feel *might* help these long term Windows
    XP users (which sticked to XP because they obviously dislike change)
    to switch to Ubuntu.

    With kind regards,

    --

That is really nice. I do know someone who started the same project and
he introduced that to Lubuntu Team. If you are interested, I can arrange

LOL, I will quit it, because it doesn't make sense for two people working on the same thing. Better leave that project to the other person and let me focus on something else, like testing and writing Dutch documentation if Jop isn't already doing that.

What I need from you, the same as I asked the other two friends and team
mates to do and to make life easier, there you go:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/Activities

Done :)

Thank you so much!

You're welcome and thank you so much for this initiative. I hope I'm still useful for the project.

Best Regards,

With kind regards,

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin (alias de ML2MST)
|_|_|0| Amateur musician and Operating Systems Geek