Re: [Introduction] Hello and Welcome :)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Brian Longoria <brian.longoria@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> "Have you tried Lubuntu? Xubuntu?"
>
> Yes I have, both actually. I use Xubuntu on a home machine (old qx9650) as
> a Torrent grabber among other things. It works great. I prefer xfce over
> lxde as a personal preference, but I see the value of both for sure.

Hi,

You forgot to hit Reply To All ;)

What makes Linux more powerful than Windows is the power of choice, not
only the power of the system itself. With Linux, you are 'FREE' to choose
whatever 'YOU' Like, no one will force you to choose and/or use something
you don't want. Having that said, for me, whether you are using Unity,
XFCE, LXDE, GNOME or any other DE, as long as you are using Linux, this is
what does matter.

> Thank you for allowing me to be part of the group.

I am the one who must thank you for joining and offering you help and
support :)

> I'm not in a position to retro fit the office, since it isn't my
> decision/responsibility, but I'm working to use my influence where I can.
> My company uses RHEL a lot as well as CEntOS for our enterprise builds, but
> the old minion desktop is very Windows centered because of legacy programs.

Of course, we don't want to force anyone for anything but all what I was
trying to say is to offer the idea and see what they think, maybe? just a
thought :)

RHEL and CentOS still Linux :) which is great. As for Windows Machines, if
there are alternatives for these programs, then why not? :)

> I hope this was desired to be a private reply. If not, I'll resend to all
> if needed. Just please let me know.

Oh, not really, we are introducing ourselves to the team so we hit reply to
all unless there is something private you want to discuss with me, this is
different story but as long as we are using this mailing list, we always
use Reply to all :)

> Thank you again and I am looking forward to helping test and contribute
> where I can.

Thank you so much, much appreciated and we are glad to have you with us :)

> I can get a better inventory of my personal boxes later if needed, but for
> now here it goes.
>
> In summary I have;
> 1 32bit with less than 1G Ram (not runnung anything right now),

Breathe some life into that machine :D
Give Lubuntu a go ;)

> 1 old AMD 64bit with 2G Ram max (not runnung anything right now),

I am interested to know how Ubuntu GNOME will act on that machine ;)

> 1 amd 64bit HP laptop 1.75G Ram (Running CruchBang),

Nice :)

> 1 quadcore 9650 4G Ram (running Xubuntu 12.04),

Xubuntu must be very happy with all these resources :D

> 1 I3-3220T 16G Ram Kubuntu host with Virtual Box with anything I want.
> and...

WOW, that is too much :D
I have two machines with 512MB RAM :P

> my new video game box, i7-4770k 16G Ram Win7 Ultimate with VirtualBox
> with Peppermint 4.

Peppermint? :D YAY, I am helping them as a Community Manager :D
Good to see someone here is using Peppermint ;)

> Work laptop is a Dell 6410 i7 4G Ram WinXP and a secret partition running
> Mint 13 KDE. ;-)

Hahaha, don't keep that a secret, go public hehe :D

Hmm, all what you said is great except this is one thing that is bothering
me hahaha, how can we get rid of that XP on your machine? :P hehe

P.S.
I have already CC'ed the team :)

Thank you!

Best Regards,