Re: A Website for StartUbuntu Project

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Shorya Raj <rajshorya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All
> Thank you for the reply about being able to develop. To help develop,
> please make a branch of the code at lp:startubuntu using bazaar.
> Unfortunately,  it is still in C# for the code behind while I learn it, and
> am therefore using asp.net (although this could work on a mono server),
> so be vary of that. If you want to code it in something else, feel free to
> do so, but in a separate branch which you push.
>
> I am using the master page scheme for the website in case it looks odd,
> and all that means is that you will see something called a master page in
> there. How that will work is that it will merge with the website page, and
> allow a more standardized approach the the website.
>
> As for translation - if you can translate, actually,  it would be great if
> you could create localized versions of the text for the website,  which I
> can integrate later into the website. ill create a folder for this, so
> please just put translations into a sepwrate txt file for each page).
>
> Thanks
> Spider

Hi,

Not to interrupt the chain of communications here but if I may, I'd like to
suggest to keep the website as SIMPLE as possible. Please, let's KISS (Keep
It Simple and Short) as much as possible.
YES, I don't mind, to begin with only ONE page (home page) which has a link
to the wiki.

I know, hold your horses, I will explain :)

Why only one page with few text, banner and a link to the Wiki Area?

1- We don't have time for now to create a fancy website nor I'm interested
in fancy stuff to be honest
2- We do need to spread the word more than anything else so as short it
could be, the better and the faster it will reach if you know what I mean
3- Once we have the website up and running, we can add more stuff as we
wish but let's get it up and running :)

Another suggestion:
You can use the exact same template I used to create the Wiki Page (6 tabs,
banner, etc).

As for the translation:
1- First, you guys need to finish the text that will be shown
2- Once that is done, only then you can translate it ;)

*Remember:*
The idea of the website is to have a unique site which someone who has
never ever heard of a Wiki nor Ubuntu so he/she won't be confused and when
he/she will see the website - say: www.startubuntu.net ... that could make
more sense than: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu at least, for the
first impression which is very important.

Despite: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu is really short address, I
don't want to push them away with : "https://wiki.ubuntu.com"; <<< this
part. Once they will get started and understand what is Ubuntu and what is
the Wiki Area, that time, we can flood them with tons of Wiki links :P

So, what do you think?

Best Regards,