Re: Linux is far from being free of malware??!!

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Marcello Tescari
> <marcello.tescari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2014 1:21 PM, "Ali Linx (amjjawad)" <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You always forget to hit reply to All :P never mind :)
>>>
>>> Same here. I have never ever seen that for 3 years nor heard anyone had
>>> such thing. This might be the first time I hear/read such a thing. Although
>>> I am not sure, it seems that user had done something like visiting weird
>>> websites? correct me please if I am wrong.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>> Hi again, sorry for the Reply "not to all" but it's something I usually
>> mistake when replying from phone.
>

> Hi and No worries :)
>

>> As I said,  I never experienced,
>

> Same here :)
>

>> but I also never experienced Virus or whatever neither when using windows
>> and I was also sometimes visiting weird websites.
>

> The 16 machines for my neighbors that I converted to Linux in 3 months,
> maybe half of these were infected with viruses and the rest were semi-dead.
> For me? I've been with Windows since 1999 and I am not quite sure if I ever
> had a virus on my own machine? but I am 100% sure I have seen so many virus
> alert on my machine and others' people machines.
>

>> I think it's just a matter of not clicking on "click here" banners or
>> similar
>> That happened to three or four people so far in about 20 that I know are
>> my "kubunters".
>

> Yeah, and that proves the theory of: "Be Careful Whenever You Are Using The
> Internet and Do Not Click on Anything Unless You Know What Are You Doing."
> but IMHO, the OS you are using is still does matter whether it will help
> that virus or whatever it is to spread itself or can't even be run.
>

>> Two of them being my sister and my girlfriend so I doubt they visited
>> weird websites, but sometimes while trying to download some software, they
>> also downladed toolbars and similar stuff (even sourceforge has a lot of
>> download this and download that links, just to make an example) as they are
>> not expert users.
>

> Why would they download anything 'directly' from the website? the idea of
> having Synaptic or Software Manager installed by default with Ubuntu and its
> official variants is to actually keep everyone safe. With Linux, you don't
> really need to go to any Website to install anything.

Mainly for 2 reasons:

90% of software you can download from repositories throu synaptic,
muon or whatever, but some free software is distributed normally (in a
windows way). It's not relevant to sourceforge, but I had to download
drafsight from the own website, I had to instal kmid by downloading
sources for at least the last 5 versions of kubuntu (i know there are
alternatives but I tried and didn't like them), same for updated HP,
Canon, Epson or Brothers Printer drivers which are usually distributed
from their websites in deb or rpm.
I don't say that all programs are downloaded directly but some
unfortunately should be.
And I even saw people using linux to download warez for windows or for
some proprietary software available for linux (or through wine)... but
that's not the case of the mentioned people

>> Even though, if you download and install them for mistake in linux, you
>> can just remove them from the browser or delete the .nameofthebrowser folder
>> from the home directory... in Windows you need to scan the register and
>> sometimes the whole system gets harmed
>>

> Not to mention you might need to re-install or format when it comes to
> Windows :D

Indeed!