Re: Wake UP StartUbuntu!!

Rob Ward has written an email to this list, but wrongly sent it only to me. So here is a copy of it:

Rob Ward:
> For me the magic moment was when I had my emails (plus all history)
> transferred from Outlook Express in XP to Thunderbird in XUbuntu (56+
> filters later, and find it is surprisingly very effective at
> responsibly controlling spam as well).  I floundered through and went
> the long way around, and I have since seen more streamlined routes to
> take.  However I got there.  Even though I was impressed with the
> application features, light weight and responsiveness of the XUbuntu
> on my older machine, this would not have been enough, if the emails
> had not come with me.  However not having to buy a new fancier
> machine to run it also removed the next major hurdle that I might
> have hesitated at.  I apologise in advance for this one, but being
> able to configure the desktop menus to launch software (like XP) was
> also the next bonus.  I needed to find, and especially explore the
> software in a very simple reliable way.
>
> As a Linux-wary user of years ago, my recent conversion has been
> complete from MS through to XUbuntu, and I won't be going back!!!
>
> So a wiki that addresses conversion of the MS-XP-7-10 mentality and
> skills to confident Ubuntu users would be great.  Let it grow
> organically as wiki's do, but kick of the structure with main core
> hurdles people might need to get over to come out of the rabbit hole
> and leave MS-land (I agree with the above).
>
> So maybe this email group could suggest some starting points as I
> have done from their own first experiences (mine maybe too simple for
> many) that got them over the line to get the wiki  started?? I would
> be happy to contribute small bits to wiki material, but not in a
> major way.
>
> Cheers, Rob

Now I will be answering it:

Rob Ward:
> For me the magic moment was when I had my emails (plus all history)
> transferred from Outlook Express in XP to Thunderbird in XUbuntu.

In my case what happened was that at some point I realized I would be one of the few people whose computer will work well with an operating system such as Windows.

In order to work correctly it needed plenty of extra software such as the anti-virus, the defragmenter, and the registry cleaner. Moreover it needed constantly updating of device drivers, applications and hardware; and I couldn't imagine someone doing that amount of stuff only just for having their computer running correctly.

So knowing nothing about other operating systems, I tried plenty of them. And now my computer needs nearly no maintenance, and the debugging I do not only helps myself but all the people that run my software.

I think that collecting the why usually people sift to Ubuntu could be a very good idea. Perhaps leaving a section where people could write their own experience would be a good way.

Rob Ward:
> So a wiki that addresses conversion of the MS-XP-7-10 mentality and
> skills to confident Ubuntu users would be great.

I think that most of the time people are searching for alternatives on how do the same stuff as they did with Windows, so probably a list of alternative applications would be great. Probably we can just link to some place where these explanations are already written.

On second place, I think that many people don't make the sift to Ubuntu because of gaming. So having information about how to play in Ubuntu without problems will also be great.

Naeil Zoueidi:
> But making the sift to Ubuntu easy for everyone is related how good
> you are on convincing peeps...

Here we have some secrets about it:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu Evangelists/How to evangelize>

Naeil Zoueidi:
> We should have a master plan to back to action ASAP.

<http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm075.html>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis>

Naeil Zoueidi:
> I think that giving points to follow are much better than everyone
> works in the same area, if you know what I mean...

Oh, that's good: one point to each one person.
<http://image.slidesharecdn.com/8-wastes-1228325060915904-9/95/8-wastes-10-728.jpg?cb=1393653507>
<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yZ9hV6dsEbY/TJqX7rbe-CI/AAAAAAAAAAM/7A3ScMlQGOE/s1600/nhbgvcff%5B1%5D.jpg>

Thank you!