swift team mailing list archive

Re: Relation of Swift and Filesystem

2010/9/1 woorung <woorung@xxxxxxxxx>

>  Adrian,
>

> That’s what I try to look for.
>
> The post is helpful enough to understand Swift.
>

> By my short review, Swift seems like some fully distributed key-value
> storages such as Cassandra, CouchDB, MongoDB based on DHT.

Each of those things are a bit different from each other. Mongo and Couch
are more properly considered document dbs and Cassandra is its own animal,
mapping keys to column families.

Swift is a distributed data store. You put arbitrary blobs in with a key,
and you get them out with a key.

The key would be a filename, or a filename concatenating directory name for
> hierarchy.
>
> The value would be a file content as blob type.

Swift has accounts with containers and containers with objects. You can
think of the keys for accounts and containers as setting up a dirrectory
structure if that is useful.

> The target of replication must be a file content itself.

Essentially, the content and some metadata.

> So if the size of file is getting bigger, the frequent changes in the file
> will make too many big file copies due to immutable feature although it uses
> eventual consistency.

I'm not certain what you mean by this.