Re: License Compatibility Question

> I researched a lot regarding the licensing stuff before I chose GPLv3.
> I chose it not because I believe it's the best license, but because
> most other open source projects are GPL licensed.

Just as a side-note, this has helped me tremendously with some of the code
I've been working with, as I've been able to shamelessly copy/modify work
from TortoiseBzr and other similarly-licensed programs without problems..

Here is how I understood it:

> To my knowledge, if the a plugin/module/library is not shipped with
> the original code, but in a separate package, it can (in most cases)
> be used with Syncany. I believe this is similar to Linux packages with
> different licenses -- as long as one package is only used by the
> other, there is no(?) issues. If, however, it is integrated as an
> essential part, there might be an issue (depending on the library).

This seems to agree with [1]. Another option is to get explicit permission
from jProductivity to include their product with the distribution:

"If you want your program to link against a library not covered by the
system library exception, you need to provide permission to do that. Below
are two example license notices that you can use to do that; one for GPLv3,
and the other for GPLv2. In either case, you should put this text in each
file to which you are granting this permission."

So if we don't include it in the trunk, this shouldn't be a problem.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs