Re: Illegal file names

Hello,

I would like to add that that you need to consider the operating system's character encoding, even among different flavors of *nix.

For example, Dropbox silently fails to sync files among machines that have invalid characters for different encodings. Let's say machine1 uses UTF-8 and adds a file with an em-dash character (−), it won't sync to machine2 with ISO-8859-1 because em-dash is not a valid character.

Regards,
Walter

On 12/12/2013 01:27 PM, Fabrice Rossi wrote:
Hi,

Le 12/12/2013 09:12, Philipp Heckel a écrit :
> I'm not sure how to handle this. Dropbox will rename these files (case
> conflict: "readme (Case Conflict)") or not sync them at all. Is that the
> right way to do it? Are there other options?

My take:

- first step:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html#crossplatform
- second step (in later version): allow some form of (semi)automatic
renaming which is recorded in the database as such, in a way that allows
users to have files that are illegal on one system to be remapped to
legal ones without breaking things on flexible systems.

Cheers,

Fabrice