team-scandraid team mailing list archive

Re: Raw outline ScanDraiD library

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 13:55 +0200, arno wilhelm wrote:
> Hello Darius,

> >> Ok think I have got it:
> >>      this way you can select an area of the picture that is going to
> >> be scanned for Scanline ?
> >>     Good idea !
> > It does exactly that yes.
>
> I have seen that the motion detection software 'motion'
> (motion.sourceforge.net) uses a picture as mask.
> The black parts mask the picture to be scanned and so only the parts
> under the transparent part are dealt with.
> This might also be a possibility ...

Although this will give you more flexibility in terms of non rectangular
areas, I don't see the true added benefit of this approach. Would like
to propose to leave this one as it is right now. If needed we could
always implement it at a later stage.

> >> Maybe we could also use a brightness parameter (or even a color?)
> >> parameter for scanning the pics ?
> >> I mean then you could only consider certain pixels and disregard others ?
> > This is possible with what you call a convolution matrix, when you
> > convert from RGB to gray-scale. We could expose this convolution matrix
> > to the user of course, but the question is what would be the gain? I'm
> > no expert in this field, so I can't judge well on this. Perhaps you have
> > a resource or paper on this?
> > In the end it's also about, how complex you would like to make the lib
> > for usage.
> No, dont have a paper about this. But maybe we should design the
> library flexible enough, so that we can add these features later
> without problems ?
Yes, we could expose the convolution matrix at a later stage.

> I also think it would be a good idea if a user of the library could
> use such complex stuff if he wants, but if he does not he should not
> even have to deal with advanced stuff like this.
> This could probably be done with default parameters and method
> overloading. What do you think ?
True, but I don't see the added benefit right now.

Darius