Re: Persistence (Was :Re: [Torios] ToriOS (beta) tarball with 3 kernels)

Hi everybody,

@ Paul,

I'm glad that you want to add instructions into the ToriOS manual: "How
to add persistence to a ToriOS live system".

My instructions are at the end of this mail. Think of them as a starting
point. You can add, remove and change things to make the language better
and make the instructions easier to use.

@ Israel,

I think it is a good idea to consider alternatives to the CD size ISO
file, but we are not in a hurry. Those alternatives, compressed image
files and DVD size ISO files can wait, but let us keep them in our minds
as alternatives, that might be better than to add a lot of bells and
whistles to the CD size ISO file.

@ everybody

I hope we can debug what is already in the ISO file and consider that it
is enough, at least for an official beta release :-)

We can expect more feedback with an official beta ISO file released:

- bugs will be detected, when it is tested by more people

- new features will be demanded. We might implement some of it, but
other demands are dumped on the 'wish-list'

There will also be feedback for the ToriOS manual, maybe also for the
OBI manuals. We will probably want to implement some of these ideas and
tips.

___________________________

Persistent live system
___________________________

I think a persistent live system provides the simplest and also the most
flexible solution. It will automatically increase the drive space, which
is limited by low RAM, and at the same time make the stored data (in
this case tarballs) survive rebooting and poweroff.

A. Create a 'live-rw' partition in a storage drive

1. Use gparted and create a linux partition, for example with the ext2
file system, which is simple and does not wear a pendrive with journaling.

2. Set the label 'live-rw' for the partition. (This is debian style and
different from Ubuntu systems, where the label should be 'casper-rw'.)

3. Apply the changes by clicking the green tick.

B. Boot with the option 'persistent'

1. At boot, press the TAB key to get to the boot command line

2. Add a space and the word 'persistent'

> /live/vmlinuz initrd=/live/initrd.lz boot=live persistent

3. Press the Enter key

and the ToriOS live system boots into a persistent live system.

C. Keep the persistence healthy

It is very important to wait while buffered data are written to the
storage drive, particularly if it is a slow USB pendrive. Do not unplug
the the storage drive before you are sure that the system is completely
shut down!

You can force writing the data with the command

sync

in a terminal window. Wait until the prompt returns!