Re: [Torios] Icon issue

On 05/17/2015 12:07 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-05-17 18:56, Nio Wiklund skrev:
>> Den 2015-05-17 18:42, Israel skrev:
>>
>>> Apparently, most developers do not know (as I didn't previous to this
>>> endeavour) you are 'supposed' to install at least 1 icon in
>>> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
>>> That is the minimum requirement for an icon, but this does not happen,
>>> because the documentation is sparse and hidden away deep in the
>>> freedesktop documentation.
>>>
>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> This looks very good (except for you, who have to do a lot of hard work) ;-)
>>
>> 1. Can that icon (in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps) be any kind of
>> picture file type, for example an svg file, or must it be a png file or
>> some other raster graphics format?
>>
>> 2. Please post a link to that minimum requirement for an icon :-)
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>>
> Hi again Israel,
>
> Is this it:
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#install_icons
> -----
> Installing Application Icons
>
> So, you're an application author, and want to install application icons
> so that they work in the KDE and Gnome menus. Minimally you should
> install a 48x48 icon in the hicolor theme. This means installing a PNG
> file in $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps. Optionally you can
> install icons in different sizes. For example, installing a svg icon in
> $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps means most desktops will have
> one icon that works for all sizes. You might even want to install icons
> with a look that matches other well known themes so your application
> will fit in with some specific desktop environment.
>
> It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme look
> neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in combination
> with some very different looking themes. But if you don't have any
> neutral icon, please install whatever icon you have in the hicolor theme
> so that all applications get at least some icon in all themes.
> -----
>
> Best regards
> Nio
Hi Nio,
sorry I have been busy :P
This is correct!

This information is not very well known.  Alas, I have made the mistake
MANY times before.  But... now jwm-settings-manager and OBI both install
icons to the right places (scalable and not)... well OBI needs a 48x48
icon... because it has a 96x96... but that is very easy to solve:

file=obi-splash-icon.svg
XY=48
destDir=$PWD
iconDir=/path/to/obi/images
inkscape --export-png=${destDir}/${file%???}png --export-dpi=200
--export-background-opacity=0 -w ${XY} -h ${XY} --without-gui
${iconDir}/${file}

-Israel
ToriOS Team