Re: Debian ISO with dialog warnings

Hi Nio
(inlines with new info and bottom)
On 05/17/2016 12:44 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
[bottom posting]

Den 2016-05-16 kl. 21:42, skrev Israel:

2. There is automatic detection of the wifi hardware in my Toshiba :-)

This is the most important thing! That means my hardware search scripts work!!
WOW!
3. Maybe a step backwards: It is possible to select the drive of the
live system to install the bootloader. It was not like that before
(I'm not sure when it was changed, maybe now, maybe some version ago).
And I doubt that it is a good idea.

That is odd... I wonder where this came from...
I will look into it...

I found out why this happened.
I have tried to modify that section to not have 'Quit' in the menu, since we DO NOT want them to quit. Your variable names in that section are extremely hard to guess at the meaning, so it has been a bit hard to fully modify it.

I'm looking forward to the next iso file :-)

-o-

UEFI:

The One Button Installer does not install systems that boot in UEFI mode. It should be possible to make ToriOS work, when using the whole drive, but I think it will be much harder to create dual boot systems with Windows (in UEFI mode) and to make it work with secure boot. This is a moving target - Microsoft and the computer manufacturers 'change the rules', which makes it hard to make things work.

Honestly I think it is best to use ubiquity or some other standard installer, that is already working well in these cases. (Well, what is possible with the sometimes unfriendly forks of UEFI.)

Computers with UEFI [almost always] have plenty of RAM, more than enough to run ubiquity, which is not the case in some old computers, where the OBI-installer is a good choice.

Today most UEFI systems allow the user to set it in CSM, which is emulating BIOS, and then ToriOS can be installed as it is now (with the OBI-installer). This will probably change in the future, so that the systems will be 'UEFI-only'.

Thanks Nio,
This is a GREAT point! I think you are correct that OBI should stick to what it is designed for and good at. I suppose if one day people want to extend OBI to allow EFI/UEFI support then we can go down that road, but OBI is designed to work on low memory computers, not on the newest fancy computers :D Offering a 64bit version with normal grub/BIOS installation should be more than sufficient.