Re: Testing in VB: RE: new TESTING iso

[bottom posting]

Den 2016-09-04 kl. 01:49, skrev Israel:
Hi Nio
(inlines)
On 09/03/2016 05:29 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2016-09-03 kl. 23:29, skrev Israel:

Maybe it is hard to understand without hands on experience.

I think you need not provide more than one or two browsers in a very
easy way.
currently firefox,chormium,qupzilla,midori, google chrome (if you are
64bit) all install easily from firstrun
weird ones like:
seamonkey, opera, palemoon
do NOT.

Besides this
In the apps menu
Apps->System->Search And Install Software
if pretty easy to use.
Synaptic was too big for the ISO, so this script works quite well.
You can type and search for things and it works fairly well.

I guess it should still be possible to install the 'debian way'. Or
are too many things tweaked in ToriOS, that makes things difficult?
No, you can sudo apt|apt-get install whatever you want.
however Debian does not have opera, seamonkey, google-chrome, midori in
the repos... and recently they added firefox-esr... perviously
installing firefox was a bit of a nightmare.
So, the 'Debian way' is go to the website, and download it OR run some
of the colorful commands I was running.  But sometimes servers get
maintenance or they change the exact location of something.. etc.

What about a program like synaptic - how much can it do in ToriOS,
compared to Lubuntu on one hand Xubuntu or Debian Jessie on the other
hand?

It can do the exact same as Debian Jessie, but not *ubuntu since they
use different repos.

again, the simple search/install script should be useful enough.
There are actually other things it can do...
from torios-installer -?

torios-installer [OPTIONS]

     OPTIONS
    -a|--about About Dialog
    -h|-\?|--help this Usage
    -f|--fix Fix broken packages
    -i|--info Info Dialog
    -j|--jwmrc [onroot] echo a JWM menu with specified onroot menu (like
'j')
     use this like:

<Include>exec:torios-installer --jwmrcj</Include>
<!-- stuff here -->
<TrayButton popup="Software Installer" icon="software-center"
border="false">
   <Button mask="1">exec:torios-installer --search</Button>
   <Button mask="23">root:j</Button>
</TrayButton>
    -l|--list List Installed Packages
    -s|--search Search for a package
    -u|--update Update system

    No arguments starts the Yad notification

Try just running:
torios-installer &disown
then use the try icon and look at the extra functionality it can do.

I think what you describe is enough, with a good margin: It should be enough to give a user guidance to find a good web browser :-)