Re: (Was Re: OBI update) New Testing ISO!

Den 2018-01-20 kl. 18:43, skrev Israel:
On 01/18/2018 02:25 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2018-01-17 kl. 23:36, skrev Israel:

Please tell us if, when and how you want us to test the new version
(for example where to find it).

Ok everyone, I uploaded an ISO.

The one main issue I have noticed is that after install the timezone
appears to be incorrect, however timedatectl shows the timezone I chose,
so it *may* be a virtmanager bug related to the hwclock (hardware
clock).  But it *may* be an OBI bug that is new.

Either way the interface is nice looking and seems to be more clear
(mostly).  I must admit the keyboard chooser is probably confusing, but
possibly no more confusing than usual, and I tried to make the text helpful.

So, go ahead and zsync the Testing ISO

http://phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-Testing.iso.zsync

OR just download it using wget/rsync/firefox/etc at:

http://phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-Testing.iso

There are some minor new things updated in jwm-settings-manager and
other things... but the main thing to test will be OBI.

Hi Israel,

I tested the new iso file with my Toshiba laptop from 2013, that I have been using for development and testing for several years.

0. The size is far above CD size but still within 1 GB (so it can be installed in a 1 GB USB pendrive or memory card.

1. Still based on Debian Jessie and the linux kernel 3.16.

2. mkusb is back in the live system. Are also other tools back (that were stripped to make it fit within CD size)? What about suggesting the Synaptic Package Manager?

3. Installing

a. I first started the default way, but when I found that it would install to the whole drive, I said 'no' and then tried to select advanced mode. It failed (nothing happened). This is a bug.

Then I quit the installer and restarted it. Now I could select advanced mode.

b. Installing the bootloader I presume: The window for selecting target device does not tell what is to be installed (I think it used to tell that it was about the bootloader, now only 'select device - and continue'). After selecting it tells what it is all about, but that is too late :-P

4. Installed system

a. Rebooting brought me to the grub menu but after some output during the boot sequence the system came to a black screen with a flashing cursor.

SysRQ REISUB did not solve the problem. I tried with the older kernel, still no luck. But I could start a screen session via ctrl+alt+F1.

I stayed with the non-pae kernel.

b. sudo does not work in text screen: 'sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have setuid bit set.'

c. I could boot into recovery mode, but from there I could not start the graphics. I think the problem is that there is no graphics driver for my Toshiba :-(

d. Continuing testing I found that some but not all programs that normally need superuser permissions (sudo) work, when logged in as the standard user (and without sudo). (I don't think ToriOS was like this before.)

Second test

I tried again, this time installing at the basic OBI level (to the whole drive selecting all default actions (for example to get the PAE kernel and check for updates), but selecting Stockholm time zone and Swedish language and trying to understand a working keyboard, not easy :-P

Installing the PAE kernel is very slow.

This was more successful :-)

I arrived at the desktop and the menus are working. But sudo is borked like during the first attempt. Synaptic is in the menus, but does not work (maybe because of problems with sudo).

I changed many things, so I cannot tell exactly what caused the failed in the first case. Maybe the non-pae kernel, maybe something else, for example check for updates or the default method (installing to the whole drive). Or maybe there was some temporary glitch during my first attempt.

I might be able to find out better later on, but I am sending this feedback now.